• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 restoration

DrA76

you will be serprised of what i have found in the car, mouse nests , nut shells under the rear seat.a peice of old newspaper behind the dashboard!

car will go for mediablast and epoxy coating tomorow  .now i am rebuilding the engine and powder coating suspension parts .

• Like 1

Keeping the front 15mph bumper? ?

Don

• Haha 1

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

14 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Whatever you do, please do not get rid of those rare narrow grills.

What Jim is referring to is the "shallow" side grilles.  The headlight surround on the '72 and '73 cars is over an inch shallower than the surrounds on earlier roundies, and have been NLA for many years.  That's what gives those two years' cars a slightly bug-eyed look.

Those shallow grilles are difficult to find, so if you're gonna replace the grilles with new ones, there are more than a few '72 and '73 owners who'd love to have yours.  But were it my car, I'd keep the original grilles, Malaga paint and saddle interior (Malaga is one of my favorite colors)--but then I'm pretty much a purist--at least where it shows.  

Looking forward to see progress; you're sure not letting any grass grow under your feet on the restoration!

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite