• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Tent Possibilities???

Riddle me this...

Could you feasibly run a roof tent (albeit a light and small one - I've seen tents for 1-2 people run in the 90-100 lbs range) on a 2002? I found this picture off a quick google search. Looks like the owner was in some sort of rally event judging by the numbers on the doors. Would running some type of set up like this work for a road trip? Obviously mileage would suffer. And probably wouldn't wanna hold more than 75 mph. But in my opinion, running a roof rack looks better than a tow hitch in back. And a roof tent allows for a bit more flexibility on where you set up over requiring a campsite to pitch a tent. Plus, I don't think 2002's are much for pulling camper trailers (even if they're small). 

I'm curious to know other's thoughts...

f8776862832a8b6bf97e5aee1c2bde83.jpg

• Like 2

1976 Jade Green 2002 M20 swap (project)

The factory manual (shop and owner's) says 165 lb maximum weight on the roof.  However, I suspect that would be more for (1) stability at highway speeds and (2) for roof racks that sat on the roof skin itself.  A rack that rests on the rain gutters is much better at preventing roof divots, and the gutters will hold a lot more weight (within reason) than the roof skin itself.  

Since no one (I hope!) will be up there while the car is in motion, you should be able to get away with 80-90 lbs so long as the assembly rests on the rain gutter troughs.  

Don't forget a ladder--and keep your cook stove well away from the car (unlike that in the picture!)

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah, most roof tents I've seen come with the ladder attached. Obviously no one is going to be in it while moving. However, when parked with a human in the tent, that could total to 300 lbs (human(s) + tent). Are those specs 165 lbs per rail or for the total car - so 82.5 lbs per rail? 

Basically, are those load ratings only for dynamic loads (so moving down the road)? Or do they include static loads too (i.e. camping for the night in gear with the handbrake on and a wheel chock for good measure)? If those are just for dynamic loads and 2002's are made to take a little more while stationary, that would make me sleep a little better.

Edited by The Kangaroo Man

A picture showing the passenger side would be useful, as the tent extends out past that side and, probably, is supported from the ground also. So, in theory, maybe only half (or less) of the weight is on the car?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Can't say for a tent, but I have used a Yakima rack to haul over 300lb. of lumber, windows, etc as the family truck. I also knew a guy who towed his 18 foot ski boat with his Tii . My car had a hitch when I bought it, but not the "Euro" kind........two bolts through the trunk and two through the rear bumper....I may have towed my small race boat once or twice but nothing else. Highway speeds at "more than" the mandated 55mph, the trailer gets a bit "whippy" in crosswinds.

As far as the total loading, with gear, 4 people, 4 scuba tanks, 4 dive bags, and probably two 6 packs for post dive enjoyment was routine in my College years as my car was the only one that would hold it all.

Then there was that time I ....................I guess it all comes down to your definition of "safe". ?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

but I have used a Yakima rack to haul over 300lb. of lumber, windows, etc as the family truck.

Dang, what was that like? I presume that wasn't a cross-country type trip though? Maybe just back from Home Depot sort of thing? Or was it longer? How'd the car handle that?

I don't think I'd be throwing anymore weight on the roof than I had too. So pretty much the rack and tent would be all up top. Everything else would go in the trunk or back seat.

Mostly local, but several times from the S.F Bay area to South Lake Tahoe, some 165 miles, where I found work during many lean years.

Well, of course you need to be cognizant of all that up top, but for many years, as I "dipped" in and out of construction my 2002 was my Truck.  Couldn't afford a truck, but I had a trunk. And a "lumber rack". Of course you need to drive conservatively and respectful of Physics.

My point in all of this is that today many owners have their cars less as an all around general car and more as a "show & shine" or weekend ride. When I bought the '72 2002 in uh, ~1977 from a friend ($4,000.00) it was a used car with 50K miles and failing Taiga clear coat......(.I told people that it was the new "self cleaning" paint). I bought it because it was an "upgrade" (more power) from my '69 1600-2. While I have used my cars, I have always tried to keep them well maintained and kept clean; in that way they have always been reliable....for whatever purpose, and wherever you want to go.

Put the ski rack on the Turbo, snow tires, to go skiing? (OMG you did that? they say) uh, yeah, it's FUN!

So, I say if you want to use a roof tent, sure, cool; the car can handle it.

BTW the same rack works on an E30 M3, my "new" truck. :)

• Like 1

I think the 'occupied' weight would be too much for the roof rails...

...the weight would need to be spread out across all 3 pillars

on each side, otherwise, that flange will just let go.

At, perhaps, Bavariaboy's 'finest moment'

t

there's nothing around here that'll hurt you if your tent's on the ground.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I too used my 2002 as a hauler up until 1983 or so when I was given a non-running '72 Datsun pickup truck which I successfully resurrected.  I was constantly amazed at what I could carry in--or on an '02.  

On the roof:  Christmas trees, a 5 foot tall antique pie safe--down the interstate..., a solid wood (3/4" plywood), 5 drawer file cabinet (WW II surplus, made when metal was scarce)--drawers went in the trunk and back seat.

In the trunk:  sheet metal from my Fiat 500--four fenders, the hood, running boards, cowl panels and side vents.  A 9x12 foot broadloom carpet, folded up--and the trunk closed in both cases.  And 5, five foot long 8x8 guard rail posts (like short crossties) scavenged from a landfill.  They hung out the back.

I still haul stuff when necessary.  Why not, so long as I don't scratch the paint!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow! So I guess it's really a matter of if the rain gutters will be able to hold it while stationary. From the sound of it, 125 lbs on the top (tent + rack) shouldn't be much of a problem judging by the stuff some people have carried ? But if that YouTube link has any credibility, spreading the load out over 3 sets of racks might be a solid solution for heavier stationary loads.