• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early front bumper bracket install

SteveDraz

So, I'm finally finishing the car and can't figure out the front bumper brackets.  It's an '69.  I've read everything I can but never found my issue.  If I put the carriage bolts into the key-slots in the frame of the car, I can't get the brackets past the bolts.  Bolts are correct length (20 mm).  I would need to "bend" the brackets after sliding through the holes in the nose but can't get enough leverage.  I can only bend them a bit but not nearly enough to get past the bolts.  Now, if the key-slot was another 3/4" deeper, then it would be easier.

When I took the bumpers and brackets off, I cut the old carriage bolts because it was the only way to remove the brackets - again because I couldn't push the bolts into the frame deep enough to clear the brackets.  Any ideas?

-Steve

There's a trick (I too have a '69, so been there, done that.  Three times).  First suggestion is to get stainless steel carriage bolts so you (or the next owner) can get 'em apart sometime in the future.  

To get everything back together again, you must separate the bumper brackets from the bumper blades.  Then insert each bracket through its rubber grommet in the nose.  Push the bracket down inside the fender well; then you can insert both carriage bolts into their slots.  Then, align the bracket holes with the bolts, and run the nuts up, tight enough to hold the brackets in place, but loose enough to allow adjusting.  You might need carriage bolts that are a little shorter than the original ones so you can get the bracket to slip over the installed bolts.

Finally, assemble the 3 bumper blades (with their spacers and overriders) to the brackets, and again, tighten the bolts enough to hold things together.  Finally, align the bumper blade so it's parallel with the lower edge of the grille, and tighten everything.  This works for all roundies except the 73s which have different front (and rear) brackets

I did a column about this; if you need a more detailed set of instructions, PM me.

Cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the reply.  You mentioned "Holding the bracket away from the body inside the fender well, insert both carriage bolts into their slot".  I really can't pull the bracket away from the body much more than maybe 1/2"  Bracket goes through the nose hole and then trough another hole/slot in the front firewall (or whatever it's called).  Thus I can't pull the bracket away from the body frame.  I guess I could enlarge the "firewall" hole with a grinder but really wouldn't want to do that.

Been there, done that.

I had a new nose panel fitted to my Touring and ended up same as you. I could not get the bracket past the first bolt.

The fittings are M8 x 20, so I switched the front bolt to M8 x 12 or 15, which helped, but still had to dremel away a little on the inner part of the nose (as indicated in red on the pic below - left/driver side). I assumed the new nose panel was not quite the same as the original one. Unfortunately I had junked the original panel so couldn't check.

DSCN2742sm.JPG

DSCN2744sm_LI inked.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

7 hours ago, Lanny Clark said:

The way to get the 20 mm bolts in the bracket is to slide thebracket to the rear then tip it down.

Lanny's got it.  The last time I did this was in 1999, so I just forgot which way I wiggled the bracket to get it out of the way so I could install the carriage bolts (old, forgetful brain).  I'll correct my original post so it'll read correctly.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just did it!  Thanks to all for your help.

1. Slide brackets all the way in to the rear and tilt down

2. Put the 2 carriage bolts into the bracket

3. Slide the bracket back forward and tilt up to line up the carriage bolts with the key-slot in the frame.  Find the spot and wiggle the carriage bolts into the key-slot.  Viola!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...