• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 ‘02 Tii on BaT - No Reserve

LindrelT

As I’ve said many times previously, the gray interiors, although very rare in the U.S., work well with some of the exterior colors. This is why gray was the factory default interior, during the square taillight era, for Malaga, Schwarz, Arktisblau, and Granatrot (see concordance below from the February 1975 factory color and upholstery brochure).

I’m guessing we will never know if it was a marketing, supply, or other issues, that led to the substitution of beige or black interiors on these “gray-default” cars — at least on U.S.-spec examples (both Hoffman Motors and BMW NA imports).

Regards,

Steve

B45D1149-0D11-46BA-B426-C425EF110599.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

New to forum, grew up in the backseat of my folks 2002, and now starting the process of looking to purchase.  But for the obvious of whatever someone is willing to pay for this car, any feedback on what this example should sell for?  My research thus far has been following BAT auction prices.  Thanks for any knowledge you can pass on.  I'm in the PNW.

3 hours ago, Behan said:

New to forum, grew up in the backseat of my folks 2002, and now starting the process of looking to purchase.  But for the obvious of whatever someone is willing to pay for this car, any feedback on what this example should sell for?  My research thus far has been following BAT auction prices.  Thanks for any knowledge you can pass on.  I'm in the PNW.

I would think 40k???

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

For no rational reason, Euro-spec ‘02’s often struggle (for value) in the U.S. market. U.S. buyers really want U.S.-spec ‘02’s they can “Europeanize” — odd, in my opinion! ?

This looks like a very nice example, fairly presented. But, like all ‘02’s, a careful examination is required to evaluate any rust, past or present...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 12/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, Behan said:

This is not a restored car.  It is a "driver" at best.  The black-painted rockers with fresh texture is a very common quick rust coverup solution.  

As Steve says, I would highly highly highly recommended a PPI on any 2002 purchase, especially on a car like this.  It could be a great drive or basis for restoration, but it could also be hiding a multitude of sins.