• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘73 front bumper bracket orientation

floatinghead

I lost my labels for the front bumper brackets when I cleaned them up and painted them. The holes in the bracket are not centered and to save myself some time/ energy, hoping someone can tell me whether the holes are supposed to be closer to the top or the the bottom.

and while I’m here, is it easier to assemble as a compete bumper or to install the brackets and then the bumper to it?

thanks!

baron

676AC6A6-45CC-4C21-9275-BFA24EFBD92A.jpeg

image.jpg

+1 on Esty's comment.  Wouldn't swear to it without checking my parts book,  but I think the '73 (only) front bumper brackets carry a single part number so can be used on either side.  I know the rear ones are.--

As for installing--on my '73 I found it was easier to install the brackets through their grommets, and loosely bolt 'em up to the frame rails in the front fender well.  Then assemble the three bumper face pieces, along with the overriders and spacers, again, fastening the bolts just tight enough to keep things from falling apart.  Finally, start tightening bolts so that the bumper blade is parallel to the lower edge of the grille (not equidistant from the ground on both ends).  

Trying to install the complete bumper assembly with brackets is awkward and difficult...better to assemble it on the car.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There is a left & a right.

Left = 51 11 1 822 063

Right = 51 11 1 822 064

However, having never seen the USA versions I have no idea how to tell. The Euro version becomes obvious once you have fitted the left one on the right side & vice versa (the bumper doesn't sit right).

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for the responses.  I read a thread not too long ago ( that I of course couldn't find) where a guy was having trouble getting his bumper lined up and after switching brackets left to right, it helped his issue.  Maybe i'll place them in and see which way gives  more room for adjustment.

or i'll just mount them up and see how it goes!

4 hours ago, floatinghead said:

a guy was having trouble getting his bumper lined up and after switching brackets left to right, it helped his issue. 

That's why you install the brackets (alone) first, then hang all the bumper blade/overrider pieces on them, and finally align everything and tighten up the bolts.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite