• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ludwig is 49 today--oops, 48

Mike Self

As the title says, Ludwig, my Sahara '73 is 49--nope, 48... today.  BMW would call him a 1972 due to the December assembly date, be he's most assuredly a '73, with 2.5 mph bumpers fore and aft.  Shipped to Mill Valley Impots in California and bought by an Air Force Captain.  Bought by me in the spring of 1978 with 46k miles.  Carol's daily driver until 1985 when she bought (shudder!)--a Buick.  Now all mine, and still a not-in-the-winter daily driver--with 267k miles.

Roads are dry here today, so he'll get some Saturday errand-running exercise.  We're growing (er, grown!) old together, gracefully, I hope.

cheers

mike

• Like 11

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike,  great story. I am in Bucks County, PA and have driven my nine senior BMWs all year long too. When it rains after the roads have been salted(and it rains more and more here each winter) and the days are sunny and dry Lilli and I are out and about.

As for Carol's Buick, we all have moments of weakness. In the early 90's ( I think) I bought a colleague's 1978 Chrysler LeBaron with  the Landeau(Martin should have sued) roof. Almost rolled that sucker many a time.  And I owned a 74 3.3 CSi!!  at the time.

Happy Birthday Ludwig!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

As the title says, Ludwig, my Sahara '73 is 49 today.  BMW would call him a 1972 due to the December assembly date, be he's most assuredly a '73, with 2.5 mph bumpers fore and aft.  Shipped to Mill Valley Impots in California and bought by an Air Force Captain.  Bought by me in the spring of 1978 with 46k miles.  Carol's daily driver until 1985 when she bought (shudder!)--a Buick.  Now all mine, and still a not-in-the-winter daily driver--with 267k miles.

Roads are dry here today, so he'll get some Saturday errand-running exercise.  We're growing (er, grown!) old together, gracefully, I hope.

cheers

mike

Mike I am curious, what is your VIN, if ya don't mind me asking

Mike, Happy birthday to Ludwig.  It seems every year that you remind me that my 74 tii had a birthday yesterday. 2780763 was built on 12/18/73.  I was told by the previous owner that the car was sold new at BMW of San Francisco. 

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Yes, Mike's post served as a reminder to me too.  So Happy Birthday to all the December cars still with us.  Gordon's 278er is one car in front of me, but manufactured a day earlier.  My algorithmic research tells me this means nothing, perhaps only mine was getting a sniff of Gordon's rear end down the assembly line.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2780764 was manufactured on December 19th, 1973 and delivered on February 14th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

Steve

278ers

Founding Member

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations Mike, hopefully we can see you and Ludwig sometime next year when he turns 50!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

2 hours ago, dlhoovler said:

Not that I'm one to question anybody's math, but wouldn't a Dec. 1972 build date make Ludwig 48?

Yeah, I was a history major--just barely passed my 3 hours of required math to get my degree (back atcha, all you engineers/chem/physics majors who had to have 3 hours of history!).  It's 48 years, not 49. 

6 hours ago, joysterm said:

Mike I am curious, what is your VIN, if ya don't mind me asking

cheers, and thanks for all the nice comments--even if my math is faulty!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Mike Self changed the title to Ludwig is 49 today--oops, 48