• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusted dashboard advice

MARHD

9 hours ago, MARHD said:

should I just give up on it and try to find a better condition two piece dash.

Reach out to the British.  There must be dashes (2pc or 1pc will work) better than yours but not good enough for the restorers.

IMHO, cracked dashes aren't worth much.  Repairs don't work.  Restoration is huge money.  $100-200 for a cracked dash is about right.  Makes shipping to you less painful.

bmw2002.co.uk

02forum.co.uk

Maybe other RHD countries as well, have owners that have upgraded their dashes and are sitting on a less-than-perfect dashes.  (I know I am.  I have to 2...LHD versions)

73 Inka Tii #2762958

29 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Reach out to the British.  There must be dashes (2pc or 1pc will work) better than yours but not good enough for the restorers.

IMHO, cracked dashes aren't worth much.  Repairs don't work.  Restoration is huge money.  $100-200 for a cracked dash is about right.  Makes shipping to you less painful.

bmw2002.co.uk

02forum.co.uk

Maybe other RHD countries as well, have owners that have upgraded their dashes and are sitting on a less-than-perfect dashes.  (I know I am.  I have to 2...LHD versions)

I have tried that, and there are some, but it turned out that shipping alone was 310 pounds, so I'm probably going to have to try and find one locally

• Like 1

Hello from South Africa ?

'71 (8th October) - Chamonix TII RHD - Rusty crusty project?

Not a pro, expert or anything worth while. So you can ignore the rest:

But for the rusted potions, wouldn't a POR 15 patch repair kit work? Por 15 with fiberglass mesh is pretty tough. POR 15 alone on the rusted portions would stop it from rusting further and add resilience. 

If the cracks in the dash could be filled, Would one be able to glue a leather cover to the cracked dash? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-DASH-DASHBOARD-LEATHER-SKIN-COVER-FITS-BMW-2002-E10-TI-TII/351351222387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

From the UK. So no worries about RHD. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

What do you want as the end goal? A good dash or a functional dash?

- If you want a good dash then go buy a good dash.

Why spend money on a "kinda" cracked dash. You already have a cracked dash. A "kinda" cracked dash will most likely turn into a "normally" cracked dash and then you will have two bad ones and less money. I'd just clean up the one you have a bit till your ready to make the leap to a good dash.

Top 5 Reasons to Buy a Mint NOS Dash

1. Contrary to popular engineering belief, having a non-cracked dashboard cuts down the aerodynamic coefficient of friction by at least .05

2. Having less money in your pocket will positively affect the weight to power ratio of the car.

3.  Just like wrinkly clothing. A cracked dashboard will negatively affect your sex life.

4. No more lost items falling into the cracks of your dashboard.

5. It's that last puzzle piece in your otherwise perfect restoration.

• Haha 2

Fahrt Start

A decent auto interior shop can sew a very nice  leatherette  wrap on a dash and make it look almost original but for a couple of seams. Cost effective solution for a nice high quality driver.

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

• 2 weeks later...

I just pulled my dash out yesterday only to discover the entire metal structure rusted beyond repair. Some of the

mounting points on the underlying car structure is gone as well. 

I have a very good replacement thank goodness. 

First question is why did this happen. My theories are a leaking windshield gasket or a sunroof drain problem. 

I plan to rivet strips of metal to the car and use self tappers to secure the new dash. 

ideas welcome!

There is no other rust on the body except for the dash mounting points. I did notice some along the strip tack welded to the firewall that holds the glovebox. 

I am fairly certain it was the windshield gasket. 

Also no rust in the channel that the gasket fits into for the windshield.