• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TI battery placement

Shawn Piper

Shawn,

There’s a good thread on battery trays. The challenge is to find it!

If I recall correctly — and that’s always a bit dodgy — I believe a ti battery tray is the same as the round taillight tii battery tray, both lower and a bit smaller than the carbed cars’ battery tray (Type 26R versus the carbed cars’ Type 47).

A ti’s airbox, however, seems appreciably larger than a tii’s airbox. Could the battery tray be even lower than a tii’s? I wish I could find that battery tray thread!

Below, the gorgeous Colorado engine bay is Dirk de Groen’s ‘70 ti. The... other engine bay is my ‘73 tii. ?

Best regards,

Steve

7916BCBE-34F8-487E-BEE0-2B3D22A397C8.jpeg

A4241CD5-3B7A-4B42-8F35-9D58585E1C24.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hmm. On my car, the battery tray bolts to the body. My goal is to use the existing mounting holes for the battery tray so my mods are reversible. 

I guess if the battery tray is the same but the mounting point is different, then I could buy a spare tray and modify it to use my existing mounting points. If a TI tray was a different design and used the same mounting holes as other cars, I was hoping to find one and use that instead.