• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: 74 (through ‘76) steering wheel.

kbmb02

On 1/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, John_in_VA said:

That wheel is a beauty, but pre-square tail light.

Yes, it found a proper home in my '73tii

From this:

OldWheel.JPG

To this:

NewWheel.JPG

Thank you Bouke in the Netherlands!

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, Conserv said:

If everyone with a 1974 tii could (a.) check the date on your car’s steering wheel, and, if that manufacturing date is consistent with the car’s manufacturing date (say, manufactured in the 4 months leading up to the car’s manufacturing date, (b.) take a photo of the steering wheel, and (c.) provide your car’s VIN and manufacturing date, we will have a better picture of the installation of the faux-leather four-spoke “tii wheel”! For instance, did every U.S. 1974 model receive one? Some? A few? More ‘02 mysteries...

I was searching the site for information on 74 tii steering wheels and came across this thread.  Per @Conserv's request, I have a 74tii, VIN 2781801, manufactured on May 9, 1974.  What I believe is the original wheel was replaced by a previous owner and came with the car with my purchase.  The wheel itself is in rough shape but as the pictures below show is of the padded plastic variety (similar to the one I recall on my 76 02) not the faux-leather and carries a 5/74 date consistent with the manufacturing date.  

tii steering wheel.jpg

tii steering wheel date.jpg

• Thanks 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

2 hours ago, Charles in PA said:

I was searching the site for information on 74 tii steering wheels and came across this thread.  Per @Conserv's request, I have a 74tii, VIN 2781801, manufactured on May 9, 1974.  What I believe is the original wheel was replaced by a previous owner and came with the car with my purchase.  The wheel itself is in rough shape but as the pictures below show is of the padded plastic variety (similar to the one I recall on my 76 02) not the faux-leather and carries a 5/74 date consistent with the manufacturing date.  

tii steering wheel.jpg

tii steering wheel date.jpg

OK, Charles! Thank you.

So by April 1974, the tii’s clever faux leather steering wheel — with faux stitching and a faux seam at 6:00 — might be gone, replaced by the simple padded-plastic style.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Conserv,

It appears so.  Here is a photo of the original steering wheel from my '74 tii  (mfgd. 6/74) which was a one-owner for 41 years (I bought it 7 years ago).  The plastic rim is not covered and "74" is stamped beneath the soft center cover.  The car now has the steering wheel from my '73 2002 which my wife and I drove as our only car for 34 years.  It's a great feeling to be able to drive both cars at the same time.

JohnS,

Mine found a proper home, too.

Larry

image.thumb.jpeg.0ef4d07b9b2ef0110ca18acba95ade73.jpeg

IMG_4349.thumb.jpeg.9659ac1eff43d53c2adfabc4147da0da.jpeg

IMG_5024.thumb.JPG.94563693402e0ef67d10c5f6ce989d8d.JPG

• Thanks 1

My euro 74tii had the later padded wheel… build date March 74, delivery to Sydney June 74…but I’d love one of Johns type… very nice!

Mind you I have a mint bus wheel as well and am liking the FPS  sport pack wheels more and more… jeez I’m getting old?

Edited by SydneyTii

2 hours ago, mgben said:

Just saw this for sale post that has what you seek I think.

This example might have a (genuine) leather cover stitched over the original rim: it looks a tad thick and the stitching seems to be more widely-spaced than the faux stitching found on ‘74 tii wheels. We’d need more good close-up photos to confirm or deny my initial reaction.

This wouldn’t necessarily be bad or good: it just means you need to confirm what you’re buying. Even if it’s been recovered, it could be re-dyed, as it looks sound. And it’s priced very attractively, so there’s that, too!

Regards,

Steve

331CD760-9286-4AA3-A7DD-383EB19C9A9B.png

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)