• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I turbo a 1973 2002 tii

Yeehaw By Law
Go to solution Solved by popovm,

2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

It will never be an M3. If you want that just buy one.

LOL!  my 2002 will absolutely run rings around my E30 M3 and my E36 M3.  WAY faster in straight line, turns and stops faster.   actually my 2002 runs similar lap times as the front running E30 M3T race cars.

of course, my 2002 is  not...exactly...stock...??

but the E30/E36 are much nicer cars...

• Like 3

2xM3

24 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

LOL!  my 2002 will absolutely run rings around my E30 M3 and my E36 M3.  WAY faster in straight line, turns and stops faster.   actually my 2002 runs similar lap times as the front running E30 M3T race cars.

of course, my 2002 is  not...exactly...stock...??

but the E30/E36 are much nicer cars...

What did you do to your 2002? I mainly just want to get more speed out of mine lol. I know its a bit harder though because I have the tii... Do y'all have any recommendations or just keep it stock 

8 minutes ago, The Bob Ross said:

What did you do to your 2002? I mainly just want to get more speed out of mine lol. I know its a bit harder though because I have the tii... Do y'all have any recommendations or just keep it stock 

The limitations of the stock Tii injection system are going to be your biggest problem in "making more power"  because you also need to worry about drivability as well.  You can always add more cam and compression and even a Turbo and mess with the injection pump so it will deliver the amount of fuel you need at wide open throttle.  The problem is getting it to deliver the correct amount of fuel under all of the other driving conditions as well. 

It is a mechanical system that only looks at engine speed and throttle position.  It has been designed to deliver a very specific amount of fuel based on these 2 conditions.  The system has no idea how much air is ACTUALLY going into the engine it just knows that at 3000 rpm at 20% throttle opening it needs to deliver X # of CC's of fuel into the intake port.  Change the engine speed and/or the throttle position and the amount of fuel changes based on a mechanical system inside the pump that has been calibrated to work with the otherwise stock Tii engine.  Change the camshaft, exhaust system, or even the air cleaner so the engine flows more (or less) air at exactly the same engine speed and throttle opening and the fuel mixture will be WRONG.  You can change the relationship between the throttle plate and the pump by changing the length of the connecting linkage you can even play with the "verboten screw" and change the entire mixture richer/leaner but unless you change the airflow characteristics of the engine exactly the same amount at ALL RPM AND THROTTLE SETTINGS there will be places where the mixture will be wrong.  It might be off a little bit and it might also be off enough to damage the engine, you won't know until you try it.  To change this you would need to change the shape of the cone inside the pump.  You would need to be able to design and machine a very complicated shape and then remove and disassemble the pump to change the cone.  Then when it does not work correctly you try it all over again.  

"I have this really cool painting, it's of a very beautiful girl, it's worth a lot of money.  I really wish she was blond.  Should I just paint over her hair?"  

It's your car, you can do anything you want to with it.  Some of us have been playing with these things a very long time. There is virtually nothing you can do to a M10 that has not been done a hundred times before.  Some of us also have a lot of broken parts that are from some of these "interesting ideas".  You can choose to listen to people with experience,  or become one yourself.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

"racing turbo"

isn't a thing.  

In fact, it's a contradiction in terms.

Very few turbos are allowed in racing classes,

and those that are involve spending more on

one corner of the car than you'd get for 3 tii's

in factory condition with no mileage.

jus' sayin'

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 minutes ago, TobyB said:

"racing turbo"

isn't a thing.  

In fact, it's a contradiction in terms.

Very few turbos are allowed in racing classes,

and those that are involve spending more on

one corner of the car than you'd get for 3 tii's

in factory condition with no mileage.

jus' sayin'

t

I figured that out. As you can probably tell i'm new to this. Trying to get more info thats all

All good.  "popular media" has no idea which end of a car is which.

Some of us find that rather insulting.

Didn't mean to insult YOU in particular, just the whole "Fast and Flatulent" fraud...

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 minute ago, TobyB said:

All good.  "popular media" has no idea which end of a car is which.

Some of us find that rather insulting.

Didn't mean to insult YOU in particular, just the whole "Fast and Flatulent" fraud...

t

You’re good I get it I’ll go ahead and change it. Thank you!

1 hour ago, The Bob Ross said:

kinda a lot...  it does still have red paint and all the chrome trim though!

grab a beer and have a few hours available to read.

the BEST way to make a 2002 go faster.....is to tow it with a modern BMW....

Edited by M2M3
  • Haha 4

2xM3

So I think the conclusion I'm coming to is that I'm not going to turbo this (thanks for talking me out of it lol) It is apparently the original engine. Still need to run the numbers to be sure. It was tricked out and rebuilt in the 90s  so it was balanced, blue prints, and new 3.0 heads. The engine itself only has 20,000 miles on it so its in great shape. Im going to spend a lot of time on body work and to make this thing look right.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you really want a BMW turbo your best bet is a 2008+ 335i, they can be found pretty cheap on craigslist. They have the n54 3.0l twin turbo 300hp stock. As long as they've had the oil changed regularly with the proper oil and not been abused they're pretty fun and tough motors.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, The Bob Ross said:

So I think the conclusion I'm coming to is that I'm not going to turbo this (thanks for talking me out of it lol) It is apparently the original engine. Still need to run the numbers to be sure. It was tricked out and rebuilt in the 90s  so it was balanced, blue prints, and new 3.0 heads. The engine itself only has 20,000 miles on it so its in great shape. Im going to spend a lot of time on body work and to make this thing look right.  

If the engine number matches the VIN, the engine block is original to the car. Here’s an article on identifying your engine.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• Solution
1 hour ago, The Bob Ross said:

That's what I was hoping you would say! :) If you still have the turbo itch, buy a regular 2002 and slap on EFI and a turbo. You could probably do that for cheaper than putting a turbo on your Tii if you consider the cost of the parts + the valuation hit you would get on your Tii, especially if you go with a square tail. Or, buy a 335i. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, popovm said:

That's what I was hoping you would say! :) If you still have the turbo itch, buy a regular 2002 and slap on EFI and a turbo. You could probably do that for cheaper than putting a turbo on your Tii if you consider the cost of the parts + the valuation hit you would get on your Tii, especially if you go with a square tail. Or, buy a 335i. 

Yeah I thought it over and I want another car to turbo and make fast etc. Any suggestions that are not BMW just to have some diversity? 

10 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Mitsubishi Evo, my kid daily drove a 500+whp one for a year or two.  They routinely built 800 whp  drag cars.

How much do you want to spend.  

I like the EVO a lot. What I want to get something around 20-30 Grand or something I can restore.