• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I turbo a 1973 2002 tii

Yeehaw By Law
Go to solution Solved by popovm,

On 1/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, The Bob Ross said:

I like the EVO a lot. What I want to get something around 20-30 Grand or something I can restore. 

Do you have a drivetrain preference? Rwd vs awd vs fwd? People play around with the Subaru WRX and STI turbos a lot. If you are wanting to slap a turbo on a naturally aspirated motor, I’ve seen a lot of folks lately turbo’ing Chevy LS motors and Honda K series motors. There is even pretty good support and info out there now for turbo’ing vintage bug motors. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, popovm said:

Do you have a drivetrain preference? Rwd vs awd vs fwd? People play around with the Subaru WRX and STI turbos a lot. If you are wanting to slap a turbo on a naturally aspirated motor, I’ve seen a lot of folks lately turbo’ing Chevy LS motors and Honda K series motors. There is even pretty good support and info out there now for turbo’ing vintage bug motors. 

I personally prefer RWD and AWD. I think I’m going to start with the Miata and go from there because I can get that for insanely cheap and if stuff breaks it’s no big deal

19 hours ago, Marsattacks said:

Evos are awesome.  Had one for two years and it was really something.   Total sleeper (without wing).  Think hard before going for one with the SST dual clutch transmission.  Great when they work, which doesn’t seem to be for long.  

Yeah I was researching and saw similar story’s like that. Maybe one day I’ll get one 

38 minutes ago, The Bob Ross said:

I personally prefer RWD and AWD. I think I’m going to start with the Miata and go from there because I can get that for insanely cheap and if stuff breaks it’s no big deal

Good call. Lots of aftermarket support and in the small, fast, light and fun category like our 2002s 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know the thread is a bit old, but I need the same advice. I'd like to add a turbo to the car. Living in Colorado zaps a bit of power, thus a turbo would be perfect. Any updates would be great. I have a full complete tii and a parts car as well. 

1 hour ago, GEM said:

I know the thread is a bit old, but I need the same advice. I'd like to add a turbo to the car. Living in Colorado zaps a bit of power, thus a turbo would be perfect. Any updates would be great. I have a full complete tii and a parts car as well. 

I won't happen with the kfish you heve.  You would do well with a modern injection system like Haltech.  Come by and I'll give you a ride in a Haltech tuned system car.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I won't happen with the kfish you heve. 

I have been kicking this idea around for a long time- the KFish is limited only by its ability to see air.

So why not a small computer that can do that for it? 

A MAF, throttle position sensor, temperature sensor

and a motor to control the KFish stroke.  Oh, and an oxygen sensor.

Viola!  Electronically- metered mechanical injection.  It'd be stupid to do it this way from scratch-

but if you already have a scruffy 74tii that you want to tastefully hop up, it'd be easy to do so without

permanently modifying the car.

Maybe I'll see if I can dig up the KFish pump that came to me incomplete. 

It'd be perfect to use to mock up the

actuator.

When SCCA said you had to keep 'original type' fuel injection in Production, this was going to be my unfair

advantage.  But the rules changed years ago to 'unrestricted injection' and so I never went anywhere with it.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I believe it's Saxon over in the UK that has a kugelfischer modification where they use a stepper motor in place of the cone. I wonder how quickly you can vary the input to the kugelfischer internals metering system, I'm betting with a closed loop modern system driving it that you'd have to dial things back. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

and a motor to control the KFish stroke.  Oh, and an oxygen sensor.

Viola!  Electronically- metered mechanical injection.  It'd be stupid to do it this way from scratch-

Combining that with this would sure be cool.

The body of the dual-action advance-pod is pretty big.  You could hide the wires in the vacuum tubes.  

Please take a lot of photos to share!

Tom

I wonder how quickly you can vary the input to the kugelfischer internals metering system, 

half a crank rev, at max. 

So far quicker than a carb responds...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 11/9/2023 at 5:21 PM, TobyB said:

and a motor to control the KFish stroke. 

1984_BMW320_Grp5_pump1.png.40e8e70b3dea45d56361ff9d3856d273.png

A bit like the '80s Group 5 E21s had...

This could be a great project, a new back cover for the Kugel with a Stepper Motor driving the the "cone twisting" mechanism in the back of the pump (instead of the speed-related magnetic drive).

Then some custom firmware on a speeduino board to drive the stepper via speeduino's GPIO channels (https://speeduino.com/home/)

With that control a normal Kugel pump could be programmed for different cams/induction and even turbocharging....

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise