• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those of you with real deep pockets(02 turbo to auction)

Gordon

Very nice museum quality car! That's exactly where it should go a Museum. If you were to buy this and actually drive it like it should be you would be ruining a piece of history. I would rather buy a base 2002 and make a turbo replicar. It would also be cheaper and if you do grenade the engine or crash it you will have bragging rights instead of being frowned at by everyone in the 2002 community.

39 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

OK @Conserv
Where did the cover on the gas tank come from?

Inquiring minds want to know.........

?

But... why would you need it, since the right trunk panel should be screwed down and only come off for servicing the tank?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

The Turbo gas tank had a considerably larger capacity than the other '02s--and given the perimeter constraints, the onlly way the desingers could go was up.  Thus the tank is several inches taller than the normal 2002 tank.  The (presumably) plastic cover protects the sender unit and fuel pickup from being damaged by the very close trunk floor.   With such low production, the factory simply took some 2x4 lumber, painted it grey and made a new support for the plywood trunk floor pieces.  The extra height also allowed fitting the optional 6" wide alloy spare.  Note that only the two plywood panels are raised; the trunk floor between the wheel wells is the normal height, creating a nice little pocket for your toolbox.  In the picture, the two plywood panels have been removed. 

mike

• Thanks 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My absolute dream car, I nearly bought one in London many years ago for 8 thousand pounds!!!!

if only I knew then.,,,. 
it was a mint Polaris car beautiful.

Then I drove my relatives A4s and to be fair, the Alpina was a much nicer drive.

But oh that Turbo.......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Self said:

... The (presumably) plastic cover protects the sender unit and fuel pickup from being damaged by the very close trunk floor...

This is the part that no one has ever seen. I didn’t check the parts book, but I suspect it’s not a factory piece. And if it’s not a factory piece, why is it there? The trunk floor board protects the fuel tank, sender, pickup, and hoses on every ‘02. So why does this turbo need this extra protection? That said, if you wanted this extra cover — simply because it is very cool — how can you get or make one?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The cover is cool.  Anyone ping KW?  That would be right up his alley.

My car came with the turbo tank.  I accidentally filled it all the way up once.  It's a lot of gas.

Oh, and I disagree.  It makes me sick when people squirrel away all kinds of cool crap, never to be seen again.  Drive it.  Maybe just on sunny Sundays and to car shows, but it makes me sick when people have such cool cars and never let them see the light of day, exactly the same way zoos are terrible...

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

yes, I know about the increased capacity of the Turbo tanks; in addition, there were two styles of which I have both. My car (second owner) does not have that piece, nor have I seen it on any other Turbos or Tiis, and nor do I find it in the Orange Books, hence my question if it was fabricated for this particular car or as an OE part. Not that you need it as the floor boards have sufficient clearance.

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

That said, if you wanted this extra cover — simply because it is very cool — how can you get or make one?

If in plastic, I'd say vacuum forming, if carbon fiber, make a mold, vacuum bag,  if metal, I got nuthin'.

I concur with @irdave make your car as best as it was in the era, then enjoy it for what it is.

Case in point; I had a friend who bought a '55 Lancia Aurelia Spider and spent two years on a mechanical "refresh". You could buy two Turbos with that mechanical restoration. What did we do upon completion of a $2MM car? Took 3 days and drove it from L.A area to Napa along Hwy 1. In Mid December. With no top. Or heat. Or radio. Or seat belts. Just the car, the road, the scenery, and the snarl of the first production V6.

Heaven.*

And that was the point of buying the car.

*Warm coat, lined pants and gloves, sunglasses not included.

So FAQers, get out and enjoy your cars, whatever the value, whatever the flavor!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

So FAQers, get out and enjoy your cars, whatever the value, whatever the flavor!

Totally agree, remember that your vintage BMW is the ultimate driving machine, not the ultimate garage queen. 

• Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I didn't say don't drive it. I said don't drive it like it should be, meaning like the race car that it is. I just meant don't drive it all the time in city traffic and on crowded freeways. Some fun cruising on a rural back road or lonely highway isnt going to ruin the car. I don't like garage queens either. 

14 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Inquiring minds want to know.........

Me too!  Maybe they were thinking that the trunk board is too abrasive on the hoses and clamps? 

Hmm, anyone want to design and print one in a 3D printer?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

8 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Hmm, anyone want to design and print one in a 3D printer?

Could print one, but to look like that vacuum forming would be the ticket- KW has the machine, that's how he's making a bunch of those parts...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.