• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does 318i exhaust gasket allow for heat shield on manifold?

MBar

QpqAnd

16111249929443545260008950343728.jpg

16111250412582326406457995820432.jpg

16111254153088696779766658305872.jpg

76 BMW 2002, 69 Bronco, 69 Corvette, 68 Newport, 72 Fury, 72 Fury Wagon, 73 Opel GT, 74 F100, 95 Dakota

Poor man collector....not much shiney stuff, more than half are on the road, and they make me happy :)

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

I've typically seen one or the other.

There's 22 bucks I could have used for something else... I figured out that if I remove the heat shield I can get to the plugs for maintenance... I guess I can live with that but it remains to be seen if the plug wires will be ok... I really don't want to do without the shield and I also don't want to pull the exhaust to swap out the gasket..I already have the stock ones... Uuuugh.. 

76 BMW 2002, 69 Bronco, 69 Corvette, 68 Newport, 72 Fury, 72 Fury Wagon, 73 Opel GT, 74 F100, 95 Dakota

Poor man collector....not much shiney stuff, more than half are on the road, and they make me happy :)

I ran my '76 with the 318 shield, having removed the original bulkier shield, with no issues.  I had the tubular loom holding the wires close to the valve cover.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

You don't need the added 318i heat shield when you are running the Thermal Reactor heat shield.

The reactor heat is mostly internal...designed with refractory material to stay hot and ignite any unburned hydrocarbon (raw gas) after being given a dose of fresh air (oxygen) from the air injection pump.

I  never had a problem with cooking plug wires or singeing paint, even when using one-piece molded wires (pictured).

Keep the 318i shield for when you drive "off-road" with a Tii (or 49-state) exhaust manifold . 

Thermal reactor heat shield.jpg

8 minutes ago, TobyB said:

throw

the 

thermal

reactor 

away.

Yep...it certainly is one of the worst contraptions BMW ever put on it's cars. However, only the '76 California models still require it for the bi-annual smog check if you want to drive on our roads. 

Just tell the smog guy "Yes sir, the thermal reactor is still functioning perfectly......in the trunk" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Yep...it certainly is one of the worst contraptions BMW ever put on it's cars. However, only the '76 California models still require it for the bi-annual smog check if you want to drive on our roads. 

Just tell the smog guy "Yes sir, the thermal reactor is still functioning perfectly......in the trunk" ?

You could try this, From asktheref.org which is the California BARs smog referee website:

The call center operates a Parts Locator Service that can assist you in locating the correct part. In some instances when a part is confirmed not available, a Parts Exemption may be issued, which would allow the vehicle to complete the Smog Check process at a Referee station. 

Before making a Referee appointment, please note the following:
  • The vehicle must have recently failed a Smog Check. 
  • The vehicle must be diagnosed at a licensed Smog station. 
  • The diagnosis must be documented on the invoice and clearly indicate the Smog Check failure is directly related to the missing part. 
  • Any failure items not related to the missing part must be corrected before an Exemption can be issued. 
  • If issued, a Parts Exemption is only valid for 90 days, as many times missing parts become available in the future

You can call them at 1-800-622-7733

7 hours ago, 2002iii said:

You could try this, From asktheref.org which is the California BARs smog referee website:

The call center operates a Parts Locator Service that can assist you in locating the correct part. In some instances when a part is confirmed not available, a Parts Exemption may be issued, which would allow the vehicle to complete the Smog Check process at a Referee station. 

Before making a Referee appointment, please note the following:
  • The vehicle must have recently failed a Smog Check. 
  • The vehicle must be diagnosed at a licensed Smog station. 
  • The diagnosis must be documented on the invoice and clearly indicate the Smog Check failure is directly related to the missing part. 
  • Any failure items not related to the missing part must be corrected before an Exemption can be issued. 
  • If issued, a Parts Exemption is only valid for 90 days, as many times missing parts become available in the future

You can call them at 1-800-622-7733

It all sounded good til the end.... 90 days.. but thank you it is interesting. I had  been wondering about exemptions. Is the parts exemption the only type of exemption?

If you put a Tesla drive pack into it, you'd never have to go through emissions ever again.

And it'd be faster.

a lot faster.

t

jus' trollin' here

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

45 minutes ago, TobyB said:

If you put a Tesla drive pack into it, you'd never have to go through emissions ever again.

And it'd be faster.

a lot faster.

t

jus' trollin' here

This is true electric conversions once certified by a referee are Smog exempt.

Motortrend tv has a series called vintage voltage, where a shop in the UK converted a 2002 to electric with a tesla style motor bolted to the factory 4 speed and LG Chem batteries. They said it should have a range of 150 miles and should be plenty fast in 2nd or third gear.

They were also working on a 3.0cs and mounted the tesla small drive motor in some other cars including a Ferrari.

Having helped convert a VW Thing to electric with a warp 9 motor kit with a bunch of heavy deep cycle 6v batteries, I can tell you that Thing was plenty fast and fun. This was back in 2008 and done on a budget with what was easiest to get. The owner took it too burning man which was what he had it built for, one of the batteries exploded from over heating out in the hot desert. It was pretty cool it had a chameleon pant job.