• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Rear Shock Tower Brace

CARPENTER 02

9 hours ago, NYNick said:

Why bother? And moving the battery is a waste of time as well these days. 

Having the battery located directly above the rear differential helps with traction. 

I also did it to clean up the engine bay and get more air flow to the dual Weber Dcoe's I put on.

• Like 2

If you need to store a battery there, why not just mount a battery tray. I guarantee it weighs less. Less weight = go faster ;) Easy to get a generic tray to bolt down or make your own.

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I've used a marine battery box several times it keeps your battery safe and the terminals covered and it straps down tight I've never seen one in a car upside down but I have seen a couple of upside down boats and not seen the box dislodged. Although these days the smaller battery under the rear seat is my go to. 

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, roadhog0 said:

Easy to get a generic tray to bolt down or make your own.

I just modified the stock tray I cut out from the front. Works good with the right battery.

Theres 3/8 in. spacers between the tray and trunk floor.

Mounting it to one side gives me room for my toolkit to sit next to it.

IMG_1618 2.JPG

IMG_1620 2.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 1/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, calw said:

Bags of Sakrete that got left out in the rain tool long,  in the spare tire, well have a better effect when dropping off cars at the salvage yard.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Leaving them out in the rain for a few weeks with car opened up helps too, especially if they are packed everywhere with years of rodent bedding. 

?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 1/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, 2002iii said:

Having the battery located directly above the rear differential helps with traction. 

I also did it to clean up the engine bay and get more air flow to the dual Weber Dcoe's I put on.

Losing 30lbs of battery weight by replacing a lead acid battery with a Li-Pho will go a lot further than moving a battery over your diff.

73A8106D-F833-4446-ACE9-176353948F38.jpeg

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

The PO had relocated the battery to the trunk and had it tied off in the corner.  I found this try for use with an Optima battery that holds it down.  Nice clean look IMO.  I do like the extra room up front in the Tii with the battery not there.

Tii trunk.jpg

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

On 1/22/2021 at 3:06 PM, SydneyTii said:

I get that opinion, but if you need or want the space for a different air supply or other requirements then it’s not really a waste of time, under the seat makes sense, but it’s not always possible. The rear brace I believe has been shown not to be so much a brace as a battery holder as well.

Each to their own I guess, it doesn’t look so bad as a mod and can be easily removed.

3 lbs, stock location (ish), no current loss issues due to long cables, lots of room.

20190811_154841.jpg

20190815_201210.jpg

• Like 2

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

8 hours ago, xr4tic said:

3 lbs, stock location (ish), no current loss issues due to long cables, lots of room.

20190811_154841.jpg

20190815_201210.jpg

Great idea!

Good access to the Tii alternator and to change oil. Do these small batteries work in all climates and can they be placed on a battery maintainer?

Also the air supply can go through where the black plastic battery shield thingy is

if the trunk is used and cables are sized with allowing for resistance then there shouldn’t be an issue.

lol I think we all got off topic again ?

14 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Do these small batteries work in all climates and can they be placed on a battery maintainer?

Yes and yes. Smaller batteries usually have less Ah and CCA so that may be a problem. I have a tiny battery (34b19r, cca about 240) in Nissan it works just fine thru the year. I have charger/tender in Nissan and M2 (Defa MultiCharger 1205).

Edited by tzei
  • Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

15 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Do these small batteries work in all climates and can they be placed on a battery maintainer?

Yes, as long as you get an appropriately rated one for your climate.

The upside of the Lithium batteries is that you can pack a big punch in a small package, the downside is cost.  You also need a maintainer made for Lithium batteries.

• Like 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

On 1/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Son of Marty said:

these days the smaller battery under the rear seat is my go to.

Why not put a small battery in the spare wheel well?

Ditch the spare and carry a can of tire sealant instead.

Way less weight...go much faster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1