• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Our Car Universally Loved?

2002#3

Yes. Yes it is. 

A while ago I penned the phrase 'the 2002 is the golden retriever of automobiles' and I stand by that, and challenge the most hum-buggy of person to not smile in a 2002's presence. 

Are there other vehicles I love more? Most definitely. Namely Citroen DS's. But those are far to quirky to be universally loved. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 5

In dark corners of the internet, I've seen hurtful words said about the touring body style.  I don't know why they'd go and tell lies like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hagerty can be a bit ruthless at times:

"Other gray-market variants include the fairly awkward-looking Baur targa conversion, a handful of 1971-only full convertibles, and the stubby-tailed hatchback Touring."

—Hagerty's Definitive 1968-76 BMW 2002 Buyer's Guide

• Haha 1

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I my 30+ years of driving BMW '02s, I have received only thumbs up, waves and wonderful stories about "they or someone they know had one back in some level of school, etc."

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

2 hours ago, KFunk said:

In dark corners of the internet, I've seen hurtful words said about the touring body style.  I don't know why they'd go and tell lies like that.

Well... I do love quirky vehicles.

And honestly.... I kinda love a good turbo-flared touring more than I do a squaretail. And I have a squaretail. Haha

Just don't tell Brunhilde I said that.... 

The golden retriever (Lola) in... the golden retriever(1600)!  Always get smiles and thumbs up...for both of them!  And yes, whenever someone approaches me about the 1600, they always say they had one or knew someone who did.  I even had a guy follow me for about 15 miles and when I stopped for gas, he pulled in behind be because he wanted to take pictures of it to prove to his buddies he actually saw a 1600!

IMG_20160625_160645744.jpg

• Like 5

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

10 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

I my 30+ years of driving BMW '02s, I have received only thumbs up, waves and wonderful stories about "they or someone they know had one back in some level of school, etc."

+ 1--even when I first bought my '69--back in the days when most folks thought "BMW" meant British Motor Works, I got lots of admiring glances.  And like Andrew, every time I'm out in mine now I get thumbs up in traffic, and questions when its parked.  I'm constantly amazed that my all-original E30 318is--a much rarer car production-wise, hardly gets a glance unless it's a hard core BMW guy/gal, but the '02 is constantly recognized.  

And if you read the contemporary road tests (beyond David Davis' "Turn Your Hymnals" paean), the testers even then recognized it as something special. Before the '02, the previous candidate for a nimble sports sedan was the Volvo 544-even a late model 544 with dual sidedraft Webers--I'll take the 02 any time.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In the late 70s when I had my 71 Malaga 02  I remember parking and overhearing some people not knowing what the car was and asking if it was a baby Mercedes...lol                                                                                                                                                  Fast Fast forward to 2020 when I was stopped at a light  in  NYC China Town in my recently acquired 76 Chamonix 02, there was a lovely old Asian  couple  making their way down the sidewalk - He had cane and she with a shopping cart both stopped and gave enthusiastic head nods and thumbs up!   I drove away thinking that there must have been an 02 in their past!

The refrain is always the same whether it's in a parking lot or at the pump.  "I owned one of these..."  or   "I always wanted one of these..." And then while they are telling me story of regret or desire I am following along in my mind, word for word.

We are blessed.

Steve

• Like 1