• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plug wires.Conflicting info

Doug DiPaola
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Hi all

Took the plugs out a few months ago while doing a long check list of items, including new wires and plugs. I’m new to DIY on auto stuff. I labeled the wires. Today I replaced wires and thought I was being aware but got distracted then was not sure if I put them on correctly. So, turn to Google. One return was to our group here. The post was back in early 2000’s. For starters it spelled out the firing order 1342 for starters, then the consensus was #1 was at the score line on rim of distributor; located at approx 6:00. Then following clockwise, 3-4-2.  Another return was from the Pelican Parts website. I buy parts from them and have referred to their 2002 specific tech articles. The picture is from that article. Here is the text associated with the article and photo If you get the wires mixed up while transferring them the firing order is on the front of the valve cover. Just remember that plug number 1 goes at twelve o'clock and rotates clockwise from there. So, I am not sure what is correct. Any clarification will help. Thanks very much. 

0425E110-7145-4323-9B49-F7FAEEED0DAD.png

#1 is whichever one is aligned when #1 cylinder is at 15 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke.

Everyone else is owned by ECS tooning.

Now, #3 comes next, #4, then finally #2.

So sayeth all our valve covers are belong to us.

t

I'm freaking out man.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Honestly it depends on how your distributor is stabbed in. Theoretically one could put #1 in as many spots as there are teeth on the dizzy drive gear.

So in this case, Toby is right.

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

#1 is whichever one is aligned when #1 cylinder is at 15 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke.

Everyone else is owned by ECS tooning.

Now, #3 comes next, #4, then finally #2.

So sayeth all our valve covers are belong to us.

t

I'm freaking out man.

You are freakin out. Man.

If you still have points, you need to have the dist body installed with wire connections near the wires on the firewall. I think that puts the notch on the coil side, then trial and error to drop it in with rotor lined up. One of those things I don't think about when I'm doing.

Even with Pertronix   I still do it as above in case I need to go back to points in a hurry.

Edited by Hans
Clarity

• Solution

To be sure, take off the valve cover, turn the motor over until the line on the front of the Cam is lined up with the oil bar and both valves on #1 cylinder are closed.  Pull the #1 spark plug and stick a piece of wire down the hole to verify the piston is at TDC (Up position).  Pull the cap on your distributor and the rotor will be pointing at the terminal on the cap for #1 spark plug.  Install the #1 spark plug wire in this terminal and work clockwise from the #1 terminal to install #3, #4, #2.  #1 spark plug is at the front of the engine, #4 is closest to the firewall.  Don't forget to check your spark plug gaps before installation, points gap (Dwell), and timing after installation.

Mark92131

1_TimingChain_Gear_Align.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Rather the wire in the plug hole, its easier to look down the timing hole on top of the bell housing for OT, or on front of the engine if equipped with pointer and notch. The rocker arm check is make sure you have the right TDC.

Now, as an aside, where were those counter clockwise dizzies used?

8 minutes ago, Hans said:

Now, as an aside, where were those counter clockwise dizzies used?

Those were in the late e21 series (with a matching "backwards" gear on the camshaft), with the advent of electronic ignition... the end of points and condensers.  A sad day indeed.

21 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

Honestly it depends on how your distributor is stabbed in. Theoretically one could put #1 in as many spots as there are teeth on the dizzy drive gear.

There are eleven teeth on the drive gear.  :)  The distributor body can be "clocked" to any of those positions, as long as the rotor is still aligned to the body the same way.  It is the rotor to body/cap position that needs to stay consistent.  The orientation of the distributor body to the engine doesn't matter.

15 hours ago, Hans said:

If you still have points, you need to have the dist body installed with wire connections near the wires on the firewall.

This is where it does matter.  If you have points, you don't want to clock the distributor in such a way that they are at the back, where it is hard to see/adjust them.

Tom

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

To be sure, take off the valve cover, turn the motor over until the line on the front of the Cam is lined up with the oil bar and both valves on #1 cylinder are closed.  Pull the #1 spark plug and stick a piece of wire down the hole to verify the piston is at TDC (Up position).  Pull the cap on your distributor and the rotor will be pointing at the terminal on the cap for #1 spark plug.  Install the #1 spark plug wire in this terminal and work clockwise from the #1 terminal to install #3, #4, #2.  #1 spark plug is at the front of the engine, #4 is closest to the firewall.  Don't forget to check your spark plug gaps before installation, points gap (Dwell), and timing after installation.

Mark92131

10 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

Mark92131

Thanks very much for all the awesome information. Proves a got a scheisse load to learn.I followed steps outlined by Mark92131. I already had valve cover unbolted awaiting new gasket. Was thrilled rotor lined up with notch on dizzy rim. That seemed to be ideal location/alignment. I have two post to follow regarding rebuilding calipers and refitting after market brake adjusters to rear backer plate. I hope these will be helpful to someone. Cheers.

5141E5F2-9504-415A-9CB9-9B60A22B65B1.jpeg

B1FC0E1A-15D7-4A14-AC9D-9040EA461433.jpeg

• Like 1