• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strips or no strips on ss rear bumper seam covers?

Highnote1

Highnote1,

After a 5-year restore (yes, purists, define that word any way you want) the single neglected job I regret most is not adding those 4 rubber strips.  I did so on the front bumper - nice.  In my mind's eye, absence of those strips makes the bumper and, really, the entire car look a little unfinished.  To me those little strips add a certain solidity, boldness, finish-ness, or sealed-gap-ness to the bumper.  Call my issue what you want; it's mine and I'll own it. 

I am looking forward to the addition of those strips this spring.  Yours are a POC (one smooth curve).  Mine will be a bear to install because of the presence of 2 bends and the long rubber strip.  I know because I tried it 4 years ago. 

Q:  Other's opinions?

Q:  Black or grey?  I've seen both.     

Q:  Were the strips originally part of all or some 2002's?

Q:  Did '74 Euro versions have the strips?  Maybe my status quo is copacetic. 

Regards,

Larry

PS:  Nice quilt.

IMG_3929.jpeg

8 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

Highnote1,

After a 5-year restore (yes, purists, define that word any way you want) the single neglected job I regret most is not adding those 4 rubber strips.  I did so on the front bumper - nice.  In my mind's eye, absence of those strips makes the bumper and, really, the entire car look a little unfinished.  To me those little strips add a certain solidity, boldness, finish-ness, or sealed-gap-ness to the bumper.  Call my issue what you want; it's mine and I'll own it. 

I am looking forward to the addition of those strips this spring.  Yours are a POC (one smooth curve).  Mine will be a bear to install because of the presence of 2 bends and the long rubber strip.  I know because I tried it 4 years ago. 

Q:  Other's opinions?

Q:  Black or grey?  I've seen both.     

Q:  Were the strips originally part of all or some 2002's?

Q:  Did '74 Euro versions have the strips?  Maybe my status quo is copacetic. 

Regards,

Larry

PS:  Nice quilt.

IMG_3929.jpeg

The rubber strips were only used on the seam covers on the early (up to early '71) bumpers (+ the Turbo).

They were not used on the seam covers for the '71 & on chrome Euro bumpers like you have.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Do you have any details about the black rubber strips on the cover in the first photo?  I can't find an available OEM part that looks like those.

I have those same early, no-horizontal-rubber-strip-bumpers.  And a set of the seam covers as in the first photo, from Blunt several years ago.  They seem really long without a strip, but I haven't taken the plunge to bend them fully yet.

According to realoem, the "synthetic strip", p/n 51111816063 is used on all years that have the no-horizontal-rubber-strip bumpers.  Besides being silver, not black, that strip has a profile that works on overriders, but not with the chrome covers, and doesn't look anything like the first photo black strips.  There is another part, p/n 51111808420, that is black, listed for US horizontal-rubber-strip bumpers  but I haven't seen it in person.

Yes, I'm confused...

hmmm, that looks like a different profile.  I have examples of the silver version from both W&N and a dealer which are sold individually for each side of the overrider or cover, that look like the photo below (photo found online, sorry about focus). 

I think yours is more like a basic "U" shape, can you confirm?

W&N calls this P/N A51115470054, the dealer ones that I have are marked 51111816063, they look the same.

s-l1600.jpg

18 hours ago, calw said:

hmmm, that looks like a different profile.  I have examples of the silver version from both W&N and a dealer which are sold individually for each side of the overrider or cover, that look like the photo below (photo found online, sorry about focus). 

I think yours is more like a basic "U" shape, can you confirm?

W&N calls this P/N A51115470054, the dealer ones that I have are marked 51111816063, they look the same.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes. For sure mine are more u shaped. Seem to work ok.