• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina?

Markster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Steve k. 

I met with Pete last week. He was great, he took me for a spin in the "Alpina homage", I was really impressed with the car's performance. I left thinking I wanted to purchase the car and went directly to the bank, but I wanted to first discuss with my wife and then sleep on the decision. Generally, I got quite a bit of support to make this purchase and bring this project to our home. The issue I ran into was assigning the appropriate value to this car. There are a lot of modifications. There are also a number of things that will need work. For one, the paint has a few areas where it's lifting. Two, the interior is raw and I'd like to improve that. How does one go about assigning value to such custom projects? Seller wants 35k. This is really a "beauty's in the eye of the beholder" type of question. Ultimately I want to be sure that others see similar value in this project, not that I have plans to sell it, but in case that I some day want/need to. Simply, I trust you have see the car. Is 35k appropriate?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:41 PM, T-Mo said:

The issue I ran into was assigning the appropriate value to this car

That really comes best by watching and studying the marketplace to get a "feel" for this car.  Look up all the past recent sales you can find here, BAT, eBay etc. to gain some background to the market.

Buying in low with an eye toward flipping it later or 'getting my money back if I sell' is one path.  Pick out what type repair/restoration work you DON'T want or can do yourself and find one that has that already covered.  You will have to decide how modifications add or subtract value to YOU.

Good luck with your path!

A true 1970 2002ti, Colorado Orange,  complete and original with the Alpina "bits" sold recently for $65,000

You can see it on the website of  Silver Arrow Cars in Vancouver Canada.  

What a difference a missing "i" and originality make.  I have never understood the "tribute" car market. But that's me. 

Steve

• Administrators

Sorry, late reply. I have not seen the car in a couple years now, so not much memory on what it looked like in person. It is special and thus the worth is hard to estimate. I had a similar problem selling my race car a few years ago. If this is something that you like and were thinking of building something like this, then it is well worth the money as it would take a lot more to build it.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, steve k. said:

Sorry, late reply. I have not seen the car in a couple years now, so not much memory on what it looked like in person. It is special and thus the worth is hard to estimate. I had a similar problem selling my race car a few years ago. If this is something that you like and were thinking of building something like this, then it is well worth the money as it would take a lot more to build it.

Steve, it was at the last cars and coffee wasn’t it?

226069C2-7DFD-4F7E-9018-BAAEA47F473D.jpeg

• Like 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

9 hours ago, CoastalCrush said:

Steve, it was at the last cars and coffee wasn’t it?

226069C2-7DFD-4F7E-9018-BAAEA47F473D.jpeg

That's the one. Really cool car. He gave me a test drive in it and it was a total blast. I fought with myself for 2 months, but ultimately found myself in an unstable work environment. Nothing makes a project car look less attractive than the prospect of not having income. My situation basically made my decision for me, and in some ways I'm grateful, I didn't like the turmoil of the decision.... But, that car is soooo fun.  

• Like 2