• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on Arrival of Fischer Technik 2002

NeueKlasseGuy

It's been quite a journey for my new GS Tuning Fisher Technik 2002. It was picked up in Switzerland from the seller on December 1 and was scheduled to be in Seattle on January 17:

FT2002Transport_5.jpg

It was taken to Amsterdam by truck where it sat on the dock for a few days before being loaded into a container and put on a ship. The ship bounced around several European ports before heading west to the Panama Canal. It cleared through the Panama Canal on January 26 and was transferred to another ship, the MSC Romane, before heading north up the west coast of Mexico.

It is currently sitting off Long Beach harbor waiting its turn to unload and load containers there before heading north again.

The problem is there are over 45 ships waiting to unload 277,000 containers and the longshormen have had to practice all kinds of COVID protocols which has severely slowed traffic through the port:

IMG_26C834D6ED31-1.jpeg

Each red or green square is a container ship waiting to go into the port and unload. My friend Jim bought a NK 1800 Ti out of France and is having it shipped. The ship his car is on has been sitting for 6 days right next to where the MSC Romane is sitting. His ship arrived at anchor 2 days before my ship did.

They are telling me that my car will be in Seattle on the 17th of this month. Anybody want to make a wager on that delivery date? I'm guessing it will be well into March before it gets here.

It's a bit frustrating but there isn't a lot anyone can do about it. I had hoped to race the car at the David Love Memorial Races at Sonoma the weekend of April 9-11. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that will happen.

Edited by NeueKlasseGuy

1971 NSU 1200 TT           http://www.msportvintage.com                 

1990 E30 M3 1/60 JTCC Racer 1972 HPK 2002 Racer

1975 GS Tuning 2002      1965 BMW 1800TiSA- #193

1971 BMW 2002                1973 BMW CSL      

• NeueKlasseGuy changed the title to Update on Arrival of Fischer Technik 2002
8 minutes ago, NeueKlasseGuy said:

It's been quite a journey for my new GS Tuning Fisher Technik 2002. It was picked up in Switzerland from the seller on December 1 and was scheduled to be in Seattle on January 17:

FT2002Transport_5.jpg

It was taken to Amsterdam by truck where it sat on the dock for a few days before being loaded into a container and put on a ship. The ship bounced around several European ports before heading west to the Panama Canal. It cleared through the Panama Canal on January 26 and was transferred to another ship, the MSC Romane, before heading north up the west coast of Mexico.

It is currently sitting off Long Beach harbor waiting its turn to unload and load containers there before heading north again.

The problem is there are over 45 ships waiting to unload 277,000 containers and the longshormen have had to practice all kinds of COVID protocols which has severely slowed traffic through the port:

IMG_26C834D6ED31-1.jpeg

Each red or green square is a container ship waiting to go into the port and unload. My friend Jim bought a NK 1800 Ti out of France and is having it shipped. The ship his car is on has been sitting for 6 days right next to where the MSC Romane is sitting. His ship arrived at anchor 2 days before my ship did.

They are telling me that my car will be in Seattle on the 17th of this month. Anybody want to make a wager on that delivery date? I'm guessing it will be well into March before it gets here.

It's a bit frustrating but there isn't a lot anyone can do about it. I had hoped to race the car at the David Love Memorial Races at Sonoma the weekend of April 9-11. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that will happen.

Well at least you’ll always have this amazing story to tell when recounting the tales of this beauty. From what I’ve seen (port wise up here in Seattle) I’d expect it will arrive start of March, but let’s hope we’re on the plus side of that.

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

As you suggested it is what it is.  Any of us that are healthy, employed and presumably happy have a hell of a lot to be thankful for (never mind a M12/7 powered GS Tuning bmw 2oo2), aside from the fact so many that have succumbed to Covid, so many more are totally F*cked, financially and other.....but then I digress. 

Congrats on almost getting your car.  Looking forward to seeing it.  You could drive down to long beach and snag it there before you have to do a do-over in Seattle.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, markmac said:

As you suggested it is what it is.  Any of us that are healthy, employed and presumably happy have a hell of a lot to be thankful for (never mind a M12/7 powered GS Tuning bmw 2oo2), aside from the fact so many that have succumbed to Covid, so many more are totally F*cked, financially and other.....but then I digress. 

Congrats on almost getting your car.  Looking forward to seeing it.  You could drive down to long beach and snag it there before you have to do a do-over in Seattle.

I am keeping my automotive adventures in perspective. We certainly are living through some strange times. Spending some time on the cars helps keep me sane.

I asked the shipper about snagging the car in Long Beach but that probably can't happen because of how the containers are loaded on the ship. Fortunately Seattle isn't suffering the same back log as Long Beach, so once it gets out of that black hole we should be good.

• Like 1

In the "nothing is new" department, I ordered my 2002 in early January 1969 for delivery in early February.  An East Coast dock strike by longshoremen from Maine to Florida completely shut down East Coast arrivals.  I finally picked up my car on 5 May--with a dent in the driver's door.  Getting a Nevada sunroof car without the door dent was projected to be in July.  I took the car, along with a quart of factory paint and reimbursement by Hoffman Motors for the repair...

mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Still sitting outside Long Beach. They are saying the ship will arrive in Seattle the 27th of this month:

IMG_D4D363727557-1.jpeg

• Sad 1

We have made progress! The ship is now in at the dock loading and unloading. Hopefully it will be back underway soon. The Bay Area ports are also backed up so if the ship is stopping there on its way north there may be a further delay.

IMG_28B25C442C7E-1.jpeg

• Like 4

The ship has made it up to the bay area where it is now waiting its turn to unload in Alameda. As you can see there is quite a backlog of ships there waiting their turn as well.

IMG_4315.jpg

2 hours ago, NeueKlasseGuy said:

The ship has made it up to the bay area where it is now waiting its turn to unload in Alameda. As you can see there is quite a backlog of ships there waiting their turn as well.

IMG_4315.jpg

Lol I can see where my house is on this map. Want me to go yell at them to hurry up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never thought I would say this about container ship traffic, but this is exciting. It helps that the car is badass and we are getting real time updates. Your comment about the backup not being as bad in Seattle made sense to me. I don’t see many ships at anchor in Elliot Bay these days. Nothing at all like the west coast longshoremen strike from a couple years ago. 

Side note, but think it might be worth keeping the details to a minimum from here on out and perhaps scrubbing the name of the boat from your earlier post? The recent thefts in the PNW of some very specific vintage cars has me sketched out. Hate to rain on the constant update parade cause it’s really fun but I also really want to see a post about it arriving safely to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

The ship is loading/unloading at the dock in Alameda. Once that is complete the ship will continue north. It is supposed to be in Seattle on Sunday. There does not appear to be the backup there that we have seen in the California ports so hopefully not will get unloaded fairly quickly. Then we just need to clear customs. Still planning to race it at the CSRG David Love races in April. Stay tuned!

MSCRomane@Okland.jpg

• Like 2

So close yet so far. The ship is passing off the coast due west of our house today. I could almost see it if it weren't a balmy spring day here in the NW- rain and wind! I gave a passing thought to playing pirate and going out after it but  .  .  .

Ship is headed to Vancouver, BC before going to Seattle. It was scheduled to be in Seattle today. Obviously it won't make that schedule.  :-((

IMG_3746EE0605CB-1.jpg

Edited by NeueKlasseGuy
  • Sad 1