• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on Arrival of Fischer Technik 2002

NeueKlasseGuy

Thanks Mark! I have seen a couple of those but not the one of it 'drifting,' or the one with the 2 guys looking under it. I'm guessing they are looking for the hole in the block?

• Like 1

1971 NSU 1200 TT           http://www.msportvintage.com                 

1990 E30 M3 1/60 JTCC Racer 1972 HPK 2002 Racer

1975 GS Tuning 2002      1965 BMW 1800TiSA- #193

1971 BMW 2002                1973 BMW CSL      

Day three sitting in line in Vancouver harbor waiting for our turn. ??????????

• Sad 1

Well guess what? We have arrived in Seattle!!! A few days to unload. A few days clearing customs and getting x-rayed. Maybe next week sometime I'll be able to go up and collect the car.

seattle.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the car FINALLY arrived, cleared customs, and was available for collection.

It's been quite a journey. The car was picked up in Switzerland on December 1st. It's been in transit ever since.

The final delay was caused by US Customs wanting to X-ray, then visually inspect the container. That added another week to the proceedings. And guess who gets to pay an extra $2,000 for the privilege?

We drove up to a warehouse in Fife, WA yesterday and got the car. Here was our first sight of it:

FirstSight.jpg

Everything looked great. No damage at all, just a little dirt and dust from its travels. We got it loaded in the trailer supervised by my ever patient wife, Mary:

IntoTrailer.jpg

Back at Racecraft it was like Christmas morning opening the trailer up and getting the car out for a close inspection:

InTrailer.jpg

We even fired the mighty M12:

M12.jpg

I will be putting a quick video together in the next few days.

We are planning on taking it to Sonoma next weekend for the CSRG David Love Races. Come on out and have a look if you are in the Bay area.

• Like 11

Fantastic Steve, I might try to get up there to have a look (and a listen) if I can make the time - which is short these days.  Nothing quite like the sound of an M12/7 with its gear driven camshafts.  JB Racing did a hell of a job building this car back.  Interesting they have a full exhaust with muffler - no doubt helps with the sound quite a bit.  Congrats - nice to finally get your hands on your expensive purchase...?

Be careful with the distributor cap.....over $1000 bucks to replace....ask me how I know.  It's a wear part.  Most of the M12/7 stuff is being re-made now so it may be that this part has been as well.  Hell of an engine, at the same time a hell of an expensive one to run as well.  To get that 300hp out of it you are going to be in at 9500 rpm, which likely means your going to be looking at bearings and rings every 25-30 hours (assuming the car is being run that hard).  From what I have read, the power band is pretty narrow from like 7000-9000.  Looking forward to seeing it (and hearing it) first hand and hearing Steve's feedback from driving it.  No comparison to any of the 8v motors in your stable.

1 hour ago, markmac said:

Be careful with the distributor cap.....over $1000 bucks to replace....ask me how I know.  It's a wear part.  Most of the M12/7 stuff is being re-made now so it may be that this part has been as well.  Hell of an engine, at the same time a hell of an expensive one to run as well.  To get that 300hp out of it you are going to be in at 9500 rpm, which likely means your going to be looking at bearings and rings every 25-30 hours (assuming the car is being run that hard).  From what I have read, the power band is pretty narrow from like 7000-9000.  Looking forward to seeing it (and hearing it) first hand and hearing Steve's feedback from driving it.  No comparison to any of the 8v motors in your stable.

Thanks Mark. I'm pretty excited to get it on track and see how it goes. Almost the same power as my CSL but a lot smaller and lighter package. No where near the same torque though. I'm guessing it will be a lot like my M3.

The muffler on the car is quite effective, as you will hear when I post the video. I didn't realize that sound was such an issue in Europe, but there it is.

I was planning on reving it to 8000-8500. Once the power starts falling off I don't see a need to keep turning it higher. I have the dyne sheet for it and that was where the power curve started to really flatten.

That's pretty much where mine flattened out, only at 270hp, as my engine guy said, it will go up to 9500 but won't make any more power without more compression, cam and fuel.  I don't have the bank account to be tearing it down every 20 hours.  Essentially there are no spares for Schnitzer engines (heads) so if you break it - your f*cked.  At least with yours, at least you can get spares, albeit expensive spares.

I took a look at the CSRG website, seems like your race is a "NO SPECTATORS EVENT".....FYI.  Glad I checked, but then maybe something has changed (I call it being 'Fauci'd'), maybe proof of vaccine, negative test, triple mask with shield, and they will let you in.  Looking forward to your video post.  A friend described the acceleration of a twin cam Schnitzer engined 2002 car akin to 'flipping a light switch' BOOM.  Obviously the same experience + with your M12.  Have fun with it.

• Like 1