• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charcoal Canister plumbing question

oldskoul

1 hour ago, oldskoul said:

Perhaps my carbs are 40's.

Yes they are....my super magnifier glass shows 40 DCOE.

Weber 40 DCOE cu.jpg

Lot's of things to check for excessive richness...other than the obvious jetting issues.

- Weak ignition (causing misfires )

- High octane fuel in a low compression engine (poor combustion)

-Float levels too high (mid-range fuel circuit coming in too early)

- Fuel pressure too high (pushing fuel thru float needles into air corrector jets)

- Lack of velocity stacks (may cause imbalance/ turbulence with intake mixture)

- Improper ignition advance curve (too much/little static advance)

- Cam too "hot" (too much intake/exhaust valve overlap)

Others will no doubt chime in with other things to look at.

Bottom line: A really stinky exhaust comes from unburned fuel (incomplete combustion).

Gas fumes are another issue involving hunting down gas tank leaks (especially tank sender gasket and hose connections).

Personally,  I would ditch the charcoal canister and connect a hose to the top of the vapor tank to vent underneath the car.

The gas cap is sealed (not vented) so you need to vent the fill pipe and the fuel return spigot on the tank to atmosphere...otherwise gas will not flow...even with a super sucker electric pump.

One more thing, as pointed out already, never use that clear vinyl tubing in the engine bay. It will melt and make a mess.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John76 said:

I would ditch the charcoal canister and connect a hose to the top of the vapor tank to vent underneath the car.

The gas cap is sealed (not vented) so you need to vent the fill pipe and the fuel return spigot on the tank to atmosphere...otherwise gas will not flow...even with a super sucker electric pump.

I forgot about that lol. That's why I was going to mount the charcoal canister under the car below the passenger rear seat and hook it up to the up to vapor tank and filler neck. Thank you for reminding me.

Edited by 2002iii

1 hour ago, oldskoul said:

is there a linky to that pic to make it bigger?

It was taken off of the RealOEM site.  Here is a linkie to that (worth bookmarking)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=2215-USA---114-BMW-2002

and you can click "Fuel Supply" to find it. 

It basically sends the fumes straight out the trunk floor, European style.

Fuel tank 

There are a lot of threads/posts about chasing gas smells in the trunk. 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?q=gas smells in the trunk&quick=1

Remove the floor board on top of the tank and look for signs of wetness.  Cloth covered hoses should be replaced.  There should be a plastic sleeve on the tank's sender nipple, to size it up from 6mm to 8mm.  Sometimes it is missing.  Other times it is cracked.   Scan some of the threads in that link above and you will see photos of all that stuff.

Tom

• Like 2

Surprised no one mentioned just tuning the carbs.  Do a little reading on Weber DCOE carbs. Then post what jets,emulsion tube and air correctors your running.  If its running that  rich would suspect the jets first. A little tuning and you might be surprised on how well it can run.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, oldskoul said:

Is there a hole in the trunk floor somewhere or do i have to make one? 

Not sure if you solved this problem or not, but after I read this thread I ordered the parts (only needed one grommet -- see pic), and actually did a few searches (per the kind suggestion in prior post). I never found a picture of the hole in my searches, and when I opened my trunk I couldn't find one. I was able to find a nice little flat spot between the fuel tank and the back frame rail, so I drilled the grommet in there. The hose that had been routed from the filler neck to the charcoal canister was a bit stiff and way too long, but with a little patience and trimming it fits well enough for a trunk without floor panels. 

When I chased the fuel vent lines from the trunk to the firewall, I actually found two of them -- the first one ran from the charcoal canister along the inside passenger side rocker panel to the firewall, right behind the console. The second one followed the same route forward, but was routed lower, along the trunk floor between strut towers toward the fuel tank. Both were just cut off in the engine bay, the second, lower line wasn't connected on either end. Here's hoping I can now roll my windows down without sniffing petrol (bonus points if you're old enough to remember the reference). :)

Take care,

Noah

Grommet.jpg.6dc46cf235464a512c729a05b1e65738.jpgFinalVent.jpg.12c6e421db058f3646d3b2f797e14958.jpgLostWeight.thumb.jpg.a267d55eca90cd97f29e4d42cdffb1df.jpg

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

The designated hole in the trunk floor is to the spare tire side of the floor.  The tube from BMW is preformed to snake to the rear sheet metal and behind the center trunk support where the latch is attached.  The vent grommet is pushed up from below after removing the rubber blank from the floor hole.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.