• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

photo compare: tii front lower control arms versus non-tii?

BarrettN

Anyone have handy a photo comparison of tii versus non-tii front lower control arms? I have a 74 tii, it has new lower control arms on it, but it looks to me like they might not be the tii arms - the tii ones, they're boxed, right? Maybe I'm not looking at the right place to see where they're boxed - or maybe the PO used regular arms. I promise I searched looking - but the pictures I've found mostly show for sale items where it looks like someone has added reinforcements.

Thanks,

Barrett

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

No difference in front arms, same for all models...

Rear trailing arms were boxed on tii/turbo

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

3 hours ago, halboyles said:

... There were actually two different versions of the control arms. 

Control Arms with rigidity bends.jpg

+1

Just emphasizing what Hal is saying, these differences were a function of manufacturing date, not sub-model. I believe the early style disappeared quite early, e.g., 1969 or 1970.

Regards,

Steve

Steve

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks everyone - evidently having seen some that have been done up with plates like what IE sells must have gotten into my head and crossed some wires. Those that know me well know how likely that is!

Barrett

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

Just emphasizing what Hal is saying, these differences were a function of manufacturing date, not sub-model. I believe the early style disappeared quite early, e.g., 1969 or 1970.

Regards,

Steve

Steve

A dozen years ago I rehabbed the suspension on my former '76. It had the skinny version and I changed them out for a pair of sturdier ones I had removed from a '76 parts car.

If they were phased out '69/'70 then I guess a PO put these on. They did, however, look like they had been on there forever.

DSCN3820sm.JPG

DSCN3832sm2.JPG

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

A dozen years ago I rehabbed the suspension on my former '76. It had the skinny version and I changed them out for a pair of sturdier ones I had removed from a '76 parts car.

If they were phased out '69/'70 then I guess a PO put these on. They did, however, look like they had been on there forever.

DSCN3820sm.JPG

DSCN3832sm2.JPG

I don’t know, Les, why your former ‘76 had the narrow style lower control arms. My ‘76 still has its original arms and they’re the wider style. My ‘73 came to me with the wider style, but who knows whether they’re original. I haven’t seen the narrow style for a long time...

Again, without addressing when or how your former ‘76 came to have the older, narrower style of control arms, I believe not only the narrower arm’s use, but its production, ended quite early, with the wider style becoming the sole replacement available. (The early end of production for the old style suggests that it was expensive to manufacture and/or prone to failure.)

I cannot find it now, but I believe Mike (@Mike Self) has previously commented on the subject.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)