• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I search of Dad's 1971 2002 ti

Shot in the dark here as my info is extremely limited. But considering there's passion around this car I thought I would give it a try.

****Update**** Vin is 1690976, thanks to service Ontario

My father purchased the car in Lahr Germany in 1971 picked up directly from the BMW factory. At the time he was posted in Lahr with the armed forces and they shipped the car back to Canada for him between 1972 and 1974, not sure when as my Dad is suffering from Alzheimer's. The car was sold approximately in 1981 to someone who came from Toronto to pickup in Ottawa (Orleans) to be specific. His car did have factory Recaro seats and Blue in color other than that that's all I know. 

So not a Canadian original 1971 ti as it was imported. Factory Recaro seats.

I'd love to see this again or even know if this thing is still around... The dream would be to buy it back and have him drive it again before he leaves us...

Edited by JD Guilbault
Vin found
  • Like 1

Thanks, I did message registry, and spent a few hours looking through old papers from my father's home for anything about the car unfortunately he may have thrown it out ( although not likely) when we moved to Alberta in 84, the movers lost several boxes and it's possible it may have been in there. I'll continue to do some digging.

Agreed: a difficult challenge with a VIN, made measurably more challenging without a VIN!

Three choices of ‘02 blue around that time: Atlantic (dark blue), Riviera (medium blue), and Baikal (metallic medium blue).

Keep searching for that VIN!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi JD,

Bit late here, the Owner of 1690976 was Vince Strazzabosco (IL) in July 2004.

According to his current FB page he is friends with Harv & Harry, both 2002 aficionados', so a good chance this is the same Vince. Perhaps a message to him may be fruitful.

https://www.facebook.com/vstrazzabosco

HTH

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

This car was very rusty and I sold all of it including the important 2002ti specific parts to a friend who still has it.   It was not driveable, but the rust was so bad that when I removed the windshield, I was able to dislodge the driver's side windshield pillar with my hands.  That friend still has the ti parts and everything else needed to properly complete the car.

Vince

• Like 2

That was awesome: especially the combo of the Ontario service’s willingness to find a car without a VIN — most U.S. DMV’s would tell you to pound sand — and Les’s always-amazing record keeping!

Now what!?

Regards,

Steve

On 3/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, JD Guilbault said:

Great question.... I guess the ball is in Vince's friends court if he wishes to communicate and or share

In the meantime, you can obtain the car’s “birth history” from BMW Group Archives at no expense. Send an email to Archives with the VIN and request their data:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Archives will provide the precise manufacturing date, the original point of delivery (or importer), the factory color. There’s no downside, except the more you know, the more you may want to spend a life’s savings to restore the car... ???

Regards,

Steve