• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any recommendations for a GPS tracker/service?

Vicleonardo1

Noting the sad news of another forum member, it seems that we need a bit more security for our beloved 02's. I started checking amazon and some other sites for GPS trackers and found a wide variety of solutions. I am amazed at the cost per month of some of these plans and a good number require hookup to the OBD2 port (which of course we do not have)

What I would like: 

Which unit is the most reliable. 

A long battery life. 

A plan that doesn't break the bank. (is the T-mobile $5/month sim card have enough memory?) Which plan do you recommend? 

What is a safe interval for tracking? For me one that pings every 10minutes while moving means my car sitting on the back of a moving trailer can be in a 55-60 mile radius  of its last location. 

Trying to figure out what would be the best option for us 2002 owners. 

Cheers and thank you! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I don’t often take my 02 on long distances or leave it parked in unfamiliar areas overnight, but when I do and I’m with someone like my wife or a friend with a cell phone, I’ll often leave my iphone hidden inside somewhere on silent. That way, if something were to happen I can use “find my iPhone” and track the location. Assuming they don’t find the iPhone first and toss it ? 

• Like 2

When I'm stalking people, I've had great results with this. 

https://tracki.com/

Get the extended battery. It lasts roughly 1 month and sticks to the frame very well. Or just leave it under the spare tire and it won't be found. 

If you buy the 1-year subscription, the price is actually very low. Well, low enough where I don't worry about it.

This tracker helped me land my brother in law in prison. F that guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

My dog wears a GPS tracker called a Whistle (1/2” x 1” x 1 1/2”). It costs about $100 and annual monitoring is about $100.

In addition to telling you where your dog (I mean ‘02) is, it will tell you how often it is scratching, licking, and sleeping... ?

The ideal ‘02 version would tell you how fast it is rusting... ?

Just puttin’ it out there!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

19 hours ago, danco_ said:

This tracker helped me land my brother in law in prison. F that guy. 

PS: That is an entertaining song by the" Dirty Knobs" Check it out sometime. 

The T-moblie sim card for mobile internet runs a whopping $5 a month. I may get a tracker that uses one and see how that works. 

Thanks for the Tracki tip, seems like a good price too. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Call Homeland Security and tell them your the grand poohbah of either q-anon of amtefa, how ever they spell it, and they'll keep track of your car for you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

49 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Call Homeland Security and tell them your the grand poohbah of either q-anon of amtefa, how ever they spell it, and they'll keep track of your car for you?

Just send a nasty letter to our POTUS. Secret service will then be also extremely interested in all your movements and watch your house for you!  (don't ask me how I know)....

• Haha 2

Went with this. It came with the case and magnets.  4G tracking with a cheap monthly rate when purchased on the annual plan. 

I will let you know how it works out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L9LRW81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be safe out there. 

• Like 1