• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrically Powered 1602 (British TV Car Show)

2002#3

A team in Wales converted a 1602 to electric power.  On Motor Trend.  British "TV car show" (Vintage Voltage) Season 1, Episode 9.  This program is about Electric Classic Works which does these types of conversions.   Interesting:

1.  I did not know 1602s could be square tails.  The year of the car was not mentioned.

2.  I like the VW color.

3.  REALLY SWEET:  A VISIT TO JAYMIC IN NORFOLK!

4.  They called the trans a 5-speed; however, it does not look like a 5-speed.

5.  Fabricator turned a PS window regulator into a DS regulator.   Who knew...

6.  Interesting mods.  Red leather seats are stunning.

Vintage Voltage

Season 1Episode 943:35
This baby BMW's owner wants to take his basic Beemer and turn it into an electric homage to the wild 2002 Turbo. But the car is just a shell, and Moggy and his team have their work cut out for them.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 9.10.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 9.09.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 9.11.48 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Love the color or is it colour for this? but why do they refer to it as a motorcycle (beemer)?

I had not heard the term 'bimmer' until I came to the US. In the UK (back in the '70s at least) all BMWs (bikes/cars) were 'beemers'.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Respect to everyone's hard work and talent but why would you take an instant on big torque electric motor and run it through a re newed 50 year old trans, driveshaft, rear differential cv jointed axle and stub axle system? Ask all the gentlemen who have been passed by their own rear wheel or disintegrated diffs...

Also Battery storage and center of gravity should be down low with the frame. The interior color no thank you. I'm not cleaning those wheels.

early morning rant ends now

Love the exterior color.

• Like 2

When I was looking at this,

one of the major packaging advantages of the 2002 platform

was to put the driving unit close to the wheels.  There's a lot

of room where the diff and gas tank used to be.  And rear seat,

too, if you wanted to make a 200 or 300 mile commuter out of it.

That leaves intelligent room for batteries and even some trunk space.

I do not buy the 'oh, you can restore it to the way it was' argument for 

a 2002- it leaves you with a 3rd- rate packaging solution and a 

2nd rate conversion.  Might be OK for some, but, again, when I was

looking at making a REAL car, it left me cold, and with very little range.

I'd still do an E36 coupe or E34 wagon in a heartbeat if someone left a 

wrecked Tesla in the driveway.  And yes, cut the sheetmetal all to sheet to do it.

Because that's a huge advantage of the 'subframe with trailing arms' suspension.

I don't really dig the color, but then, I've never been mad for avocados, either.

I do like the flare treatment- but if you're going to butcher the OUTSIDE, again,

why do you give a rodent's patoot what happens to the floorboards?

t

in for a penny, in for 440v

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

First off this has been discussed before here.

I watched all the episodes from the beginning when it first came out. I thought they should have used the tesla rear motor pod like they did on other cars.

I liked the look of the car before they did the red interior. I've never liked red interiors and red and green just makes me think of Christmas. The wheels are okay but don't really fit the color and feel of the car and I sold my set of basket weaves after getting tired of having to clean the brake dust off of them all the time.

As to the strength of the transmission, the weak point of the factory 4 speed is the syncronizer rings which you won't need since you don't need a clutch or to shift. Also having experience installing a warp 9 motor into a vw thing which uses the same transmission as a vw beetle, I would say it can take it. The warp 9 motor was hooked up to 20 6v forklift batteries for a total of 120v, with the car in second gear it took off like a banshee and easily did 45mph. Third gear gave you decent acceleration and up to atleast 65mph. The range was limited to under 100 miles or less because of the old heavy batteries and it was turned into a 2 seater because the whole back seat was batteries.

Also you have to remember this shop is in Wales, the UK has very different tax rules for cars. They mostly drive cars with small engines 1.5l or under to avoid paying almost double for larger engines. With an electric car you don't have to pay any tax. Also the UK is only 300 miles at its widest and they have good public transportation, so you don't need anymore range.

• Like 1