• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Headlights for 2002 tii

coopersguy

If you want led or xenon lamps you have to install the correct projector to see any benefit from more light being produced.

You install a brighter or higher lumen lamp in a halogen reflector housing and you have become an uncontrolled light source hazard ready to cause harm to yourself and others. 

Ray posted some great information from a well respected lighting expert.

Toby is also right halogen with the right lamp in a good reflector housing can be very effective.

It’s really not that serious. I installed Hella lenses with led bulbs and the visibility before and after is (pun intended) night and day. I read the article but it’s seems as though the “enthusiasts” are making it a bigger deal than it is. For anyone doing the same, just make sure you angle them correctly. 

Edited by WhoIsSea10

On a related subject, many people here are converting their dash lights to led's to make them brighter, nothing cuts down the effectiveness of your headlights more than bright lights in the cockpit, even when you dim them, most led are heavy in the blue light spectrum which is a bad color for night vision.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

15 hours ago, Teelinger said:

Check these out:

https://vintagecarleds.com/

I find these interesting. I have Cibie with H4 bulb and I'm not overly impressed so far. I need to add a relay and align better but don't know if that will be enough.  The vintage lights look pretty correct and not off a spaceship. Anyone ever seen these in action ?

I have LED's in my dash and love them. Lights are dimmable and give a nice white modern light. No complaints.

I've got LED bulbs right now, but picked up some JW Speaker lights last year.  Pro'ly ought to get to installing those guys.

And notice the Saiga FTE at about 21:00 in the video?  That's a semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun, magazine fed.  Really silly.  I do not own one.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Honestly we have enough lighting with the 2 good halogen bulbs.  the key is to aim them properly.  Most everyone,  even with the newer vehicles, just eyeball it.   If properly aimed for your car's wheelbase, you'll have plenty of light even with he old school sealed beams.. I use the proper tool for the job.

FWIW,

IMG_0161.JPG

• Like 2

Aftermarket LED lights are the worse for blinding oncoming drivers. Highly recommend Hella or Cibie E-code H4 lights. If you have a roundie, you'll need to install relays for the headlights. It's plug and play for square tail lights. This is a great deal. 

https://www.busdepot.com/0301600118

FB_IMG_1614212168913.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Mis-aimed headlights are just that. In my part of the woods, the biggest headlight problem is the jacked-up pickup with the headlamps 4' off the ground. They could be adjusted to not blind oncoming traffic but usually aren't. Why not? Ignorance, obnoxiousness, who knows. I am running properly adjusted HID bulbs in Cibie headlamps in my 02 and 325iX. They have a sharp cutoff on the low beam and don't run people off the road.

• Like 2

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I thought the title of this thread was modern headlights.

Real Affordable Hi Performance Upgrades better than these stock headlights?

Try a quality xenon projector with a sliding curtain and pure white lamp 4k-5k the distance of projected light and crisp cut off are not achievable in a reflector housing. High beam output with the curtain up color and light quality is night and day. The lighting really is beautiful.

If done correctly it's really hard to see the projector in your 02.

Projector vs Reflector

348s.jpg

Edited by gary32

3 hours ago, gary32 said:

I thought the title of this thread was modern headlights.

It is, but no harm in a little good natured button pushing is there?

Careful, this thread is in danger of falling victim to the much feared and dreaded "Pizza"syndrome.

I do have an LED third brake light that would be really cool if the 2 sided tape thats supposed to hold it didn't fail whenever I leave the car in the sun. Clunk, there it goes again.

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

I have a pair of 35w HeNe lasers.

Is that modern?

t

retaliatory 

Whoa, shades of "Along the scenic route" Watch out for drivers equipped with coded optics.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris