• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crating Gertrag 245, how ?

Flamingo 5

I bought a rebuilt VW transaxle for my Karmann Ghia a year or so ago. It came in a sturdy cardboard box with a couple of structural cardboard reinforcements and of course one holding the output shaft.  Transaxle arrived in perfect condition, rebuilding transaxles is a big part of their business so they know what they are doing.

Also have heard of people just buying a suitably heavy plastic tote tote for shipping transmissions.

One thing that I do is to take a 2x4 and drill a 1" hole in the center and bolt it across the bell housing with the input shaft in the hole so if the box is dropped on that end the load is not transferred into the gear train.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Here is how MM packages a 245.  Christmass tree not included.  Rear bolting is thru the output flange.

MM Packaging 01.jpg

MM Packaging 02.jpg

MM Packaging 03.jpg

MM Packaging 04.jpg

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Lot of places use the box within a box,that and the foam boards work well if packed tight.

Please don't use the plastic tubs. I help a friend that has a transmission shop and those tubs come in shattered more times then coming in one piece. Plus cold weather they get brittle and break in several places.

He does heavy duty box and has a spray foam machine.  

MM box ain't bad, I would use a little more wood and more foam.

PIA to box right but worth it.  

1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

MM box ain't bad, I would use a little more wood and more foam.

PIA to box right but worth it.  

MM has been boxing and shipping a long time.  I expect they have confidence in the method to not have to take back damaged units.  This shipment had been hit on one end, see the second photo, top right.  The 3/" plywood stood up well.  Both ends were bolted to the plywood, the trans wasn't going anywhere.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

From the factory Bmw sent transmissions in wooden crates. They were basically a half sized forklift pallet with 2x4s to go around the trans and under the back to keep it level. The top was a wooden box with large pieces of foam cut to the general shape of a transmission. 

You can buy plastic transmission crates for shipping. Or if your cheap like me go around the back of dealerships and shops and find ones they've tossed in the trash.

If you use a freight shipper you can just wrap it in plastic and strap it to a pallet.

• Like 1

Want to know something funny.  Try using a cooler.   No joke. You can get a cheap coleman cooler, and pack it tight.   When I picked up my car, it came with a 245, and he said he received it in an old cooler.  They are tough and fit the transmission well.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-poly-lite-cooler-45-l-0853435p.html#srp

image.thumb.png.ab8acafff4cac3dccf34e01cc41920f3.png

Edited by Dudeland
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Here's what I do for my differentials. 3/4 inch plywood with 2.5 inch deck screws Be sure to put handles on each end  to facilitate picking it up. Wedge the unit inside to assure it won't move.  All up weight on the order of 75#, G245 should be in that neighborhood. I've had no problems using Fedex Ground with this approach.

IMG_0112.JPG

• Like 1

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold