• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Install Question

Shawn Piper

2 hours ago, johnnyb said:

It seems BMW has changed suppliers on this again- I purchased the OEM felt gasket (item 15 from the original post) from Blunttech, and it doesn't sit in the vent window channel properly.  It has more of a rounded U-profile (the original one I pulled out had a square-edged bottom, see pics).  The new one sticks out of the vent window channel by quite a bit. (new one on the top, old one on the bottom).  The clip (item 16) doesn't really grab the new gasket well.  

I'll try bending the gasket some (it has a wire metal frame), but not sure how I'll do it consistently over the entire length.  I tried searching hardware store websites for the profile @jgerock showed, but I'm not finding anything that looks like that.  https://www.mcmaster.com/4771n11/ looks like it could work if it's flexible enough (I'm not near my car to check the dimensions). 

IMG_5370.JPEG

IMG_5371.JPEG

On a more global observation, the variability of the remanufactured parts - seals in particular - is a mystery. I mean, I’m pretty sure they got it right 50 years ago with old school manufacturing.  You’d think with CAD/CAM we’d do at least as well. 

On your furry window channel, I’m not sure whether the rounded base of the channel is the only culprit but it’s no doubt a contributor. Mine had a similar issue particularly at the top section and was exasperated by a rivet head or two in the swing window recess itself.

I shaved a bit off the back of the seal carefully - used a dremel with the sanding barrel IIRC. In the end it went in sweet - but a tap with a rubber mallet will even things out.

Like @jgerock references (3 yrs back)  with his ‘69 and the glue he found, once I got my seal sitting about right I pulled it out and ran a light bead of 3M Super along the recess and also the rear of the seal.

Then using painters tape opened the swing mirror and taped it firmly around the channel.  It’s not coming out after all that and sits right. Don’t forget the little rubber bit at the top which I cut from my old seal and glued in - finishes it off nicely. 

You can make it look like this -  but you need to frig with it a bit as discussed above. 

(Excuse the interior - the sound deadener and carpet are sitting on the shelf ready to down, he keeps telling himself 😁). 

IMG_7366.jpeg