• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I did a search....belt line trim

Overdraft

I did a search but couldn’t find an install photo or template to a belt line installation.  I just bought a kit - but holes on my car have been filled...and I will have to drill.  Has anybody seen a diagram or video of hole locations or process?  Drilling holes are so...well permanent ?

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

1 hour ago, Overdraft said:

I did a search but couldn’t find an install photo or template to a belt line installation.  I just bought a kit - but holes on my car have been filled...and I will have to drill.  Has anybody seen a diagram or video of hole locations or process?  Drilling holes are so...well permanent ?

It’s not clear where you’re located, but in many locales, it wouldn’t be too difficult to find another ‘02 owner with a pre-paint / post-paint / whatever example, and you could take measurements from that. In California, for instance, it appears that most people own “tii projects”.... ?

Below are some photos of my ‘76 after its Big Re-Paint (2015-16). I’d bet if you eyeballed the fastener locations shown and repeated them, more-or-less accurately, you’d be fine.

Regards,

Steve

531A172E-693F-4C8A-A9A0-D71965DB47A4.jpeg

FCAA5662-ED50-4D60-AA15-57517A4A836D.jpeg

B7A8B919-6CB0-45EA-B519-E43E72F250B4.jpeg

F124CD94-0CF0-42B6-8BD3-0E49107BD979.jpeg

0BB51DB6-8325-47B3-9723-5992BABE590C.jpeg

A6F2AC66-0200-4645-9FA9-87944EC60DCF.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This is an EXCELLENT start - thank you.  With these photos and hopefully a drawing turns up, I will be able to piece that together.  I am in Canada and 2002s - although up here - are hard to find in this state.  Thanks for the post.

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

In a previous discussion on this topic, someone suggested that the original hole positions are the places to avoid drilling, because the welded up holes are going to be the thickest and hardest metal. 

The spacing is not critical, since the trim just snaps onto the clips, but the ones at the ends need to be close to the original location.  According to McCartney (in previous discussions, not my research), the holes in the middle are 6mm and the ones at the ends are 5mm.  The little screws that are used at the ends are tiny, so I could believe 4mm for those holes.  I dunno tho.

Tom

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Overdraft said:

My car already has the holes drilled. Happy to trade you. :D

• Like 1

The only really important close-to-exact locations are the holes that are used for the stud plates that retain the ends of the hood and trunk lid trim pieces where the side sections meet the center sections--and the resulting joint is covered by those little caps. 

You'll want to install those pieces with the trim over the last couple of clips nearest those joints not fully pushed home, and stud plates loose.  Then install the cap so that it bridges the gap, and finally push the trim fully home--doing so on each trim piece simultaneously.  Once everything is all aligned and the cap is in its final location, then tighten the little nuts on the stud plates.  The trim caps are very difficult to move back and forth once the trim pieces are pushed into their final locations.  You can help the adjustment by coating the inside of the cap with a little vaseline or silicone grease. 

mike

PS--if you're really lucky, the PO will have filled the holes with bondo, not weld.  That will greatly simplify your task.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite