• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belts

cdn97986

I have a set of TRW/Repa front seats belts I bought from a German eBay seller last year that I am getting ready to install. When searching for install info, it appears that others have purchased these belts from Bludevils or others in the past, but I can't find posts showing how they installed them. These have the shorter tongues with the smaller hole versus the 46 year old Repas I have in the car now, and I'm wondering what combination of the included bolts / bushes / washers pictured below others have used to install? My old belts were missing some of the washers, etc, so hoping I can install using the included hardware if possible. Thanks, Craig

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

Oh, dear-

I used to know this.

On the 2002, the captive nuts are SAE fine thread, 

and the pivot points all used shoulder bolts.

The mount for the 'stalk' was similar, but the bolt was not shouldered,

so it stood 'at attention'.  That said, most cars had either a center hoop

or spaghetti straps.

I THINK because the US was the first to mandate factory belts

in '69, and the spec was written that way, it's  7/16 fine?  I forget.

BMW used a metric head and an SAE thread...

As to the rest, the bolt was shouldered such that the 

retractor and the shoulder point could pivot- important, as an 

off- axis point will shear the webbing.  There were various small plastic

washers, stock, that made sure things couldn't bind under load.

It was pretty specific hardware, and it was consistent across many cars,

so I can only guess that the Federal spec was pretty clearly defined.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

To add to Toby's post, the two spacers in the top picture shown under the shorter bolts go through the shoulder belt mount on the pillar so they can swivel with the bolt tight. Also IMO the retractors do not swivel but need to be fixed with the belt end upward or the ratchets in the will lock when yoy try to pull the belts out.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks guys for the input, I think I'm pretty good on the pillar mount and the buckle assembly mounting to the tunnel, its the reel / tongue attachment that has me perplexed. I can't figure out the combo of hardware to either allow the tongue to pivot somewhat behind the reel, or fixing the tongue position behind the reel at the angle the belt needs to be in when fastened. I had seen where some used the mount under the rear seat for the reel, and just use the original reel mount for the tongue. I gave that a shot but the seat interferes with the belt retraction due to the tight fit. Was hoping to use the stock mounting position only, but looks like that might not be possible.

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

After doing some additional searching, I found the image below of what looks like a good option to install in my '75. I circled the plastic piece that allows the belt to be routed between the seat cushion and trim panel without being pinched. Anyone know where something like that can be purchased? In this image it was part of the retractor assembly, but wondering if anyone had luck adding something similar to do the same? Google searched show all kinds of pads, etc for belts, but nothing rigid like needed here. Thanks, Craig

post-2494-13667663813527_thumb2.jpg

New TRW/Repa Seat Belts Made in Germany - BMW 2002 and Neue Klasse Parts For Sale - BMW 2002 FAQ

Edited by cdn97986

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

The bracket (tongue) at the B-pillar needs to pivot, and (as BMW designed it) so does the reel fixing at the floor.

The pic shows the 'flanged bush' on my set-up required at the B-pillar (basically a bush & distance piece combined), the one for the reel attachment has a thinner flange.  HTH.

DSCN3384sm.thumb.JPG.d585c0dbf0210c1f112ff049d655c74f.JPG

DSCN3385sm.thumb.JPG.4e0a7e45e4984110a50822ee5ce4bd7d.JPG

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

5 hours ago, cdn97986 said:

After doing some additional searching, I found the image below of what looks like a good option to install in my '75. I circled the plastic piece that allows the belt to be routed between the seat cushion and trim panel without being pinched. Anyone know where something like that can be purchased? In this image it was part of the retractor assembly, but wondering if anyone had luck adding something similar to do the same? Google searched show all kinds of pads, etc for belts, but nothing rigid like needed here. Thanks, Craig

post-2494-13667663813527_thumb2.jpg

New TRW/Repa Seat Belts Made in Germany - BMW 2002 and Neue Klasse Parts For Sale - BMW 2002 FAQ

Pretty sure that protector/guide is part of the retractor, the retractor would also have to be designed to work at that angle.

My 76 has both the retractor and end piece in the same bolt hole closest to the door, and that's probably how yours is designed.

I have a set of seatbelts from Al (bluedevils), he provides a nylon spacer to go between the retractor and seatbelt end to clear the webbing.  Also keep in mind that when the retractor is installed, the belt is pulled out to reach the upper pivot point, which reduces the belt thickness on the reel.

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

The bracket (tongue) at the B-pillar needs to pivot, and (as BMW designed it) so does the reel fixing at the floor.

The reel/seatbelt end at the floor on my 76 does not pivot, it's pinned to the body.  The retractor is straight up and the end comes out at an angle.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

23 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

The reel/seatbelt end at the floor on my 76 does not pivot, it's pinned to the body.  The retractor is straight up and the end comes out at an angle.

The reel doesn't pivot, but the belt anchor should.

Item 19 (2 of them) are the bushes to allow this.

1452629074_FrontBelt.png.a50d13c3241691c50dbe91cbd6dc8dd7.png

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Interesting, I don't have those, so a PO probably had them apart previously.

How much does it need to rotate though?

For aftermarket belts, I'm guessing a nylon spacer on each side would probably work fine.  I compared the holes in the original belts to bluedevils, and the stock belt hole is much bigger, so the original bushings wouldn't fit.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

xr4tic, do you have the same aftermarket belts that I have per chance? Bluedevils was selling these a couple of years ago. The reels do not have the locator pins, and the belt mount is shorter in length and the hole to mount behind the reel is smaller than the stock one. So the stock bushings do not fit as you mentioned. Do you have a pic of that nylon bush bluedevils includes that goes between the belt and retractor? Or at least a thickness? Thanks.

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

I bought them a couple years ago and never installed them, I'm currently waiting for my carpet set to arrive before they go in.

Here's a pic I took when I pulled one out, with the spacers still on them.

20210303_164503.thumb.jpg.471a136b7252cb321824af0ae15162b0.jpg

I can measure the bushing tomorrow

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Awesome...thanks for the pic. So when you install, the order will be reel - bushing - belt anchor - flat washer - split washer - threaded car mount? Interested what that gold-colored extension bracket will be used for...is is for the reel or pillar mounting point?

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

I contacted Al about it, and that's basically what he said:

"I would keep the nylon spacer between the end fitting and the retractor to give some clearance for the webbing. Then install them together using the long bolt on the lower B pillar anchor with the split lock washer as the final washer"

The extension bar is for the belt receptacle to space it out for shorter drivers.

I will probably buy a thin nylon washer to go between the belt anchor and flat washer (on the body/thread side) just to reduce friction if it needs to rotate.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

22 hours ago, cdn97986 said:

xr4tic, do you have the same aftermarket belts that I have per chance? Bluedevils was selling these a couple of years ago. The reels do not have the locator pins, and the belt mount is shorter in length and the hole to mount behind the reel is smaller than the stock one. So the stock bushings do not fit as you mentioned. Do you have a pic of that nylon bush bluedevils includes that goes between the belt and retractor? Or at least a thickness? Thanks.

Just measured the nylon spacer, 0.127" thick, 1.12" OD, 0.54" ID

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!