• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG... another bung placement question

TVeye

So, I wanna ceramic coat the Stahl header (thinking about Young Guns in Rancho, any experience?)

1666418204_IMG_02151.thumb.jpg.dd10c9c3439b6ad286ee89d516f0547c.jpg

Question is... should I weld the bung (AFR) into the header? Seems like there's plenty of room back there.

Or, weld bung into straight pipe after the header?

Don't want to coat and then realize.........

Also, long bung or short bung?

1065790888_IMG_02161.thumb.jpg.e34f2fa8a7b8de05e81cac691849fe70.jpg

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

Suggest you mount the header in the car and mark it for bung placement.  Get it in the wrong place and the sensor bumps into something.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

22 minutes ago, jimk said:

Suggest you mount the header in the car and mark it for bung placement.  Get it in the wrong place and the sensor bumps into something.

This ^^^  and bung size is dependant on what O2 sensor you use.  I think the smaller one is more  common.

That's what I have on my header with an O2 AIM sensor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockyford77 said:

I used Jet-Hot

634CC1CB-AFDC-46C5-81D2-2AAB327D0473.jpeg

Looks good, and your header took a road trip to North Carolina :)

...and you're right about the placement. I'm just more interested in getting it coated than

I am about dealing with the old system, right now.

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

On 3/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, jimk said:

Agreed. I welded in a bung yesterday while the header was mounted. I have a Getrag 245 and it is wide. I had to weld in the bung a few inches downstream of the header because of access issues (used a new right-angle drill). You might be OK but consider what tranny you will eventually use.

engine small.jpg

I ended up going this route.

Bung will be placed and welded then I can rotate accordingly before cinching down

and then tailpiece welded to the rest of the system.

IMG_0217[1].jpg