• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAQ has become completely useless..

bluedevils

18 hours ago, tech71 said:

Not much in the way of an appropriate response to this cept maybe get bent dude

No disrespect meant, just a little attempt at humor. ?  Heck you might generate more revenue with ads then me with a subscription.

Seriously though I would be very surprised this is a cash cow for someone.

Car forums are dying on the internet and I would hate for this to be one of them.

The site is a treasure and more informative then the factory service manual I think.

Whomever owns the site does it for the passion of 2002s not the money I'm guessing.

If he makes a few bucks or puts a kid through college, good for him her they them.  

• Like 2

"They" is Steve.

He's retired on a tropical island somewhere with a full 

staff at his beck and call.  I'd say he's 'adequately funded'

t

he won't let me come visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

No disrespect meant, just a little attempt at humor. ?  Heck you might generate more revenue with ads then me with a subscription.

Yeah,I apologize for my get bent comment. I should have left it alone from the start, a sick wife will distort your sense of humor and your reality.

Really glad this forum exists

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

FINALLY I CAN SPEAK MY PEACE

SO I am a member on SaabCentral and Benzworld, and these are good sites with good peoples.

But god dang, every time I log onto SaabCentral I feel like I just went back to windows 95 and Benzworld there's just no technical stuff.

I constantly wish there was a forum for my Unimog that was even half as good as this community and forum. I've even thought about posting questions I have on my truck because I know this group would probably figure it out.

• Like 2

Fahrt Start

1 hour ago, MitchaPaLoOza88 said:

FINALLY I CAN SPEAK MY PEACE

SO I am a member on SaabCentral and Benzworld, and these are good sites with good peoples.

But god dang, every time I log onto SaabCentral I feel like I just went back to windows 95 and Benzworld there's just no technical stuff.

I constantly wish there was a forum for my Unimog that was even half as good as this community and forum. I've even thought about posting questions I have on my truck because I know this group would probably figure it out.

If you're getting 80s nostalgic,

there's always Saabnet...

t
was there. it was crap.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

If you're getting 80s nostalgic,

there's always Saabnet...

t
was there. it was crap.

Haha I still get email notifications for Saabnet Classifieds to feed my 96 and Sonett addiction.

I will not read their forum posts which you have to read one blog entry at a time.

Fahrt Start

4 hours ago, MitchaPaLoOza88 said:

And this is why forums exist.  I run my forum on donations only and the members donate enough to pay the bills and some of my time.  I'm not retired on a tropical island.  But, the content and knowledge on the forum is what drives everything, it's why people visit a forum.  Allowing memberships to reduce or remove ads from the site is a reasonable way to "repay" those members and at the same time allow other members to visit for "free", and view ads.  I would guess that the membership fees would need to be at least as much as the ad revenue that those members would normally bring in.

I'm also guessing that you guys could make a fairly short list of users on this site that bring the majority of knowledge and good usable content.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dang said:

I'm also guessing that you guys could make a fairly short list of users on this site that bring the majority of knowledge and good usable content.

Otis for sure, and then there is Ray 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TobyB said:

"They" is Steve.

He's retired on a tropical island somewhere with a full 

staff at his beck and call.  I'd say he's 'adequately funded'

t

he won't let me come visit.

Everyone is welcome to visit my island any time they want. Ok, may be after the family and the household staff ifs fully vaccinated :). So far the personal assistant has received the first shot, but butler, nanny, the valet, and the gardener are far away from the eligibility. 

For those interested in history of the FAQ, here are few words. The site was started about 19 years ago by a few of us who were looking for the information with the goal to collect it and unite the 2002 owners into one global group. We started with a Forum and an article section (the FAQs). Several open source pieces of software cobbled together to make thing look "professional".  As you can see, we had the sections, but not much in them.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.31.38 AM.png

I am the only person who remained from the original group of admins. Everyone has left for different reasons.  I have spent way too much of my personal time to let this site disappear.  The goal was never to have a single person or even a small group of people to do all of the contributions.  I built the site to give all members the ability to write articles and edit outdated information in the Article section.  I always wish for more help with writing and editing the articles as that has never been my forte. @MOJOJOY runs most of the instagram stuff and I always ask people to take photos at the events and post them. 

As we grew the software had to change. I think it was about 10 years ago when we made a major change that lead to loss of some images and broken links. We are still finding those and I try to fix them when i can or remove them.

Then Photobucket decided to change their policy and pricing that all images linked to them were no longer visible. Though it is very easy to upload images to the posts and articles here, not everyone does that and we lost a lot of images.  

I have added a lot of features and that possibly made things not as easy to navigate through. We have a garage feature, gallery, videos, databases of wheels, information about models, colors, blogs, maps. I am still working on adding a database of vendors and shops.  We have regional forums on people's requests. Soma are used and most are not.  There are defiantly a lot of things and I tried to organize them the best i can, but it is not easy. I always welcome suggestions. We even have a forum for those :)

My biggest requests to all are:

• If you see a post that you think can be used in the future, make it into an article. Those are a lot easier to sort through.
  • Always attach photos. It is as easy as dragging a photo from your computer into a text box in the message. 
  • Title the posts properly. :Installed Mazda Miata Coliovers" is a lot more search friendly then "look what i did on Thursday"
  • Add tags to help the search engines, especially in the gallery. 

I feel like i have been in a loosing battle to keep all 2002 and NK owners united. I think i am a member of 7 or 8 facebook groups dedicated to 2002, and i am sure there are other that i do not know about. So any help is appreciated in making this a more attractive place.

steve k.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

One thing I'll add to Steve's comments is, as sites grow, and grow older, the content continues to increase, along with storage space needs, nodes, bandwidth, etc.  One cool thing about our old cars is most of the content is relevant forever.  ?

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, 2002Scoob said:

Rough day? 

Most people just ask the same ol' questions in a brand new post. Gives us something to both complain about, and also comment on :)

Isn't that what forums are mostly about? Being able to interact with others that have a shared interest and ultimately and hopefully devolve into pizza discussions? Maybe that's just me....

Speaking of, It's Pizza Friday. 

RAY WHERE U AT?!

2745CCBE-FDDA-4803-BA7F-F5B4BA7AF67A_1_105_c.jpeg

That's not bad! 

I bought a mill. And some Kamut.

Stay tuned!

:D

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 minutes ago, ray_ said: