• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ISO/WTB: Driver-Side BMW 2002tii Shallow Grille, NOS

SmoresTM

Hello all, 

I recently purchased a 1973 driver-side grille for a 1973 BMW 2002tii. I should have checked to make sure I was ordering the right thing, but I ordered a deep grille when I needed a shallow grille. Live and learn, I suppose! 

Anyways, now I'm on the hunt for a shallow grille to match the passenger side. The other one is in near-perfect condition, so an NOS part or similar is preferred. Let me know what you have. She looks a little cross-eyed with the mismatched grilles!

Thanks

-Sam

Edited by SmoresTM

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

So you are looking for a 1966 through mid-1972 left front grille, also known as a “deep grille” because the headlight bezel is deeper than a mid-1972 through 1973 grille — which is also known as a “shallow grille”.

All 1966 through mid-1972 grilles, whether for a 1600-2, a 2002, a 2002ti, or a 2002tii, are identical. You add black anodized slat covers — still available from BMW — for the two-liter sub-models.

OEM grilles are periodically available from BMW, but the wait between batches seems to grow longer and longer. Maximillian Importing is currently showing availability, but I’m guessing they are backordered once again: Parts 1 and 20 in the attached schematic and parts listing.

(BMW has not produced the shallow grilles in four decades, so they don’t bother even recognizing their existence in the modern parts manuals.)

Regards,

Steve

57509FE3-4E79-444C-8452-CDEE7FFE2B71.png

B7878B14-EC01-4048-8350-249A74433407.png

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 hours ago, Conserv said:

So you are looking for a 1966 through mid-1972 left front grille, also known as a “deep grille” because the headlight bezel is deeper than a mid-1972 through 1973 grille — which is also known as a “shallow grille”.

All 1966 through mid-1972 grilles, whether for a 1600-2, a 2002, a 2002ti, or a 2002tii, are identical. You add black anodized slat covers — still available from BMW — for the two-liter sub-models.

OEM grilles are periodically available from BMW, but the wait between batches seems to grow longer and longer. Maximillian Importing is currently showing availability, but I’m guessing they are backordered once again: Parts 1 and 20 in the attached schematic and parts listing.

(BMW has not produced the shallow grilles in four decades, so they don’t bother even recognizing their existence in the modern parts manuals.)

Regards,

Steve

Steve, thanks for the info. You're a huge help as always. I must've switched the two in my head. I always thought the shallow grilles were for earlier cars. You learn something new every day!

Anyways, correction to original post, I'm looking for a shallow grille. I'll edit the original ISO/WTB to reflect that. Thanks!

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

• SmoresTM changed the title to ISO/WTB: Driver-Side BMW 2002tii Shallow Grille, NOS
  • 2 weeks later...