• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Swan's Neck Driver's Mirror

goofycarp

The swan neck mirror I have is about 85mm from center to center of the mounting bolt holes. It is marked Hohe on the inside of the mounting bracket and the back of the mirror, I believe Hohe is the manufacturer.

I sold another one previously that was from a different manufacturer, it was marked made in Germany wrapped around 3 stars on the back of the mirror and I didn't measure the bolt hole spacing. 

I have heard there might be a 3rd manufacturer. It doesn't suprise me that early ones like on your 67 are slightly different, cars built before 1970 are usually a little different and more hand built.

On 3/25/2021 at 6:35 PM, goofycarp said:

Hi,

The holes in the driver's door appear to be factory and the simple dimension center to center is just shy of 3.5" or 88+/- mm...Thanks, Cort

IMG_0482.jpeg

My experience with carpentry says it’s generally a bad idea to take a measurement from “a photo of a tape measure overlaying the measured item”: the edge of the tape is not tight against the item being measured and the camera’s lens is rarely at a precise 90-degree angle to the end point you’re seeking. With that huge caveat in mind, I see a center-to-center measurement in the above photo just shy of 3 7/16”, perhaps 3 13/32”. That’s 86.5 mm. and pretty darned close to 2002iii’s “about 85mm” above. There’s also a little slop built into those pre-drilled holes, particularly the rear mounting point. I suspect that more precise measurements by @goofycarpand @2002iii might reveal the mirror @2002iiiis measuring would fit on @goofycarp’s door.

If all of Geoff’s examples were closer to 75 mm than to 85 mm, I wonder if there were more than 3 brands of mirrors fitted to these early cars. Or maybe there were three brands but more than three models of mirrors used. If you take a look at Mercedes of the late ‘60’s, you’ll see mirrors that look very similar to those used by BMW, yet slightly different.

Just saying...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On further review of mine its actually closer to 83mm:20210326_180557.jpg

And yes the caliper is lined up to the hole centers, but I couldn't get it to look straight in the picture. I tried multiple angles and the above picture was the best looking one. The front hole has a bit of wiggle room with the screw.

I also found a gasket I cut out of a sheet if rubber from the other one I sold previously and it had the same 83mm center to center measurement.

Also I'm selling the current one to @goofycarp, so when he receives it we will get the final verdict.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes that mirror does fit the hole pattern exactly but I sent it out to be re-chromed and the inner nut/bolt that holds the mirror and neck together is doggedly rusted together so it can't be re-plated without breaking it (the mirror body is stainless and neck is chrome).

So, I am still looking for a Swan-Neck mirror that can be restored. Thanks !!

Cort

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...