• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kudos to JsnPpp and his tii cold start relay project !!

The tii folks understand the concept:  that Cold Start Relay electronic thingie inside the aluminum can mounted on the back firewall:  pure magic.  And when it doesn't work:  pure terror.

Well, not long ago I had the "terror."  My original Relay had only 1 major hiccup in 46 years ...... then the cold start system quit working.

My good fortune was that I had earlier purchased a Relay from JsnPpp "just because" a spare is always a good part to have, just in case.  And sure enough, after removing the old and installing the new:  Problem Solved !!  The '74tii fires right up, just like it is supposed to !!

Here is some background info on the project ........

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 6

I also bought Jason's 'Zeitschalter' PCB and fitted it to my orange daily driver tii. Results are flawless, it starts well hot or 'cold' (i live in the tropics) and the PCB fits in the original housing perfectly so we can retain that 'factory' look. Thats better than the Bosch replacement part which has a different form factor & looks 'wrong' on your bulkhead.

I've been running it for a few months so far and can confirm it stands-up to humidity and engine bay temperatures fine.

Great job by Jason for getting this working in the right package, especially mimicing the connector so that the original wiring loom plug fits easily.

• Like 3

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Awesome! Thank you both for the feedback. I lived with my Tii's for 20 years (both of them) with non-working cold start systems and finally had enough. It was a year+ in the making (day job kept me busy) by multiple people but it feels like it was worth it. It stretched my mechanical engineering brain in just the right ways.

I really am happy when I know I've helped keep a 2002 working as it should be. This is a wonderful community and I am glad to be able to contribute to it.

[More on this project soon!]

~JasonP

Edited by JsnPpp
words
  • Like 5

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Had I ever needed to, it has always been my back-up plan to install a simple on-off switch to activate the electro-mechanical cold start gasoline valve.  I'm very happy I've never had to do that.

And as a sort of p.s to this:  it was actually Le Tran over at Garage Werks who figured it all out.  He was doing some engine work for me, part of which was to get the cold start system working again.  I had given to him Jason's new board, just in case.  Le gets all the credit for troubleshooting and sorting it all out.

And seeing that Jason is in Austin:  Le is in the process of moving himself and his shop to the Austin area. 

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

I did a cold start relay rehab today using the new board from Jason and the stickers from MoFaraz.  I'm amazed at what these guys can create.  The 2002 community is awesome.  Thanks, and some pics ...

TiiColdStartRelay1.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay2.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay3.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay4.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay6.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay7.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay5.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay6.JPG

TiiColdStartRelay7.JPG

Edited by JohnS
add missing picture
  • Like 5

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

TiiColdStartRelay4.JPG

That looks great! I have one of his stickers as well and have been meaning to do the same.

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

The pictures uploaded kind of out of order.

All I did to clean up the box was polish it by hand using some rubbing compound and a soft cloth.  It took a while to rub off what was left of the original lettering on the box.  Then I cleaned  it really good with Acetone to remove any oil or wax residue before applying the sticker from MoFaraz.  Mo's web site explains how to apply the sticker. 

https://mofaraz.com/products/tii-cold-start-relay-decal-bmw-2002

After that, I hit it with a little bit of Dupli-Color clear coat to cover the new sticker.  Then I put it all back together using the new board from Jason.  Jason's board comes with instructions for how you open up the box.  You need to carefully pry open the bottom two metal tabs on the box to pop it open and remove the board.  It's pretty straight forward.  Hope that helps,

John

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️