• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 BMW 2002 Verona selling for over $45k - PDX

Carlos_M

First, the Pinto business. Take the blue hatchback, change out the bumpers, rebadge it as a 928 and few would know the difference.

The wagon is a handsome devil. Rebadge it as a late 70's Madza or Honda and forget about being rear ended and transformed into what we called in the 60s "A Living Ronson Ad"  For you youngsters, Ronson was a popular line of cigarette lighters.

Second, the Cordoba. I never had the chance to settle my tush into the Rich Corinthian Leather, but I still can hear Ricardo crooning for the cameral in the Chrysler ads. I did, in a moment of great weakness, buy a 1978 Chrysler Le Baron two door hardtop with the Landau roof, Martin should have sued. Again, for you youngsters, Martin Landau was a semi-famous B List Hollywood actor.

My great fear with the Le Baron was not being incinerated in a rear ender. It was rolling that baby on a sharp interstate off-ramp.

"Those were the day my friend" as Mary Hopkin crooned in 1969.  

18 hours ago, Slavs said:

Well, it’s nice to see somebody is familiar with the Córdoba and “Corinthian Leather”. If you remember this, it’s a sign of your age. 

If you're Ricardo, it's "Coreeeeeenthean Lather."  And yeah, I remember, and laughed at those commercials too...

And...Son of Marty--I got rid of my popcorn ceilings the easy way--it was called Hurricane Florence.  Blew enough shingles off the roof to make it leak all over that ceiling.  All new drywall, sans popcorn, courtesy of my insurance.  After 25 years of insurance payments with no claims, I finally got something!

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

I think the Seller was overcharged for the photo shoot. To me it looked like I was looking at a 1:18 scale model, and the interior shots were way too dark to see anything (including Esty's carpet!!). I guess painting the engine bay and trunk black was a cheap way of covering the original Sahara paint.

$50k....sheesh.

The seller, 911r, has listed several hundred cars on BaT, and knows how to do it.  He always uses an external mic, mounted near the exhaust, for all of his driving vids, and does all of his own photoshoots.

IMO, his production value absolutely inflated the price of the car.  If all his photos were taken on his phone, and the only video we got was the walkaround he posted on the last day of bidding, I think this wouldn't have fetched anywhere near the same price.

At the end of the day, the dude knows how to sell a car.  I mean, look at his last 5 listings...

image.png

Edited by Leucadian
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

53 minutes ago, Leucadian said:

The seller, 911r, has listed several hundred cars on BaT, and knows how to do it.  He always uses an external mic, mounted near the exhaust, for all of his driving vids, and does all of his own photoshoots.

IMO, his production value absolutely inflated the price of the car.  If all his photos were taken on his phone, and the only video we got was the walkaround he posted on the last day of bidding, I think this wouldn't have fetched anywhere near the same price.

At the end of the day, the dude knows how to sell a car.  I mean, look at his last 5 listings...

image.png

First I will say this guy is obviously a good salesman, knows how to use a camera to make a car look good and finds some nice cars.

This guy is probably just buying these cars from older collectors that don't use the internet and/or estates/inheritors that don't  know what they have and then fixing them up and auctioning them off for high market value.

I have mixed feelings on this subject:

In one sense its good because these cars are getting found and fixed and sold to people that will appreciate them and hopefully drive them. 

On the other hand people that buy and sell these cars usually keep most of the profits for themselves and drive the value and parts prices up, putting cars out of the price range of your average joe.

It seems to me that BaT represents mostly the higher end of the car market.

It's good for the seller because it widens the sea of buyers and gives them a chance to extensively document the car and represent it as fairly as possible on the internet (not that everyone does that).

It's also good for buyers because it widens the sea of vehicles and usually gives more and better information than other internet auction sites.

The comments can either help you or hurt you depending on many different factors.

I'm a firm believer that you should always see a car in person and/or have a pre purchase inspection done before buying any car, especially when spending a lot of money. 

Please remember these are my views and opinions and you may not agree but please don't get all mad.

Edited by 2002iii
Typos
  • Like 3

IIRC I seen this 2002 at The Vintage in 2018.  The exterior paint work was very well done.

I didn't get to look under the hood or trunk.  I believe it was for sale at around 30k back then.

I was looking to buy at the time and decided against this one just cause the exterior paint was too nice,

yes too nice for a driver.

Agreed that the photos are to doctored and a little surprised BAT would allow so many photoshopped pictures.

I"m not a fan either of the painted black trunk or underhood.  Leather dash I could do without,meh.

Nice 02 yeah, 50k don't know but a couple people thought so. If the buyer is happy,good for him.

Like I've said before my Son does muscle car restorations. They have probably done five to ten 69 Camaro's 

with budgets of 200k to as much as 500k, yes 500k and they went over budget.

It's only money. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:19 AM, kbmb02 said:

Hmmm. Well, since you’re not a fan of the 38/38, I’ll buy it for $50 (if it’s a genuine Weber unit). Seriously. -KB

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs

On 4/8/2021 at 7:05 AM, gary32 said:

Never had the pleasure of meeting Slavs but I have questions.

If you built a similar car for 15-20k what price would you sell it for?

I remember driving a new Cordoba and all the prestige I felt, are you ready for all that luxury?

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs

Well, the lack of prep that went into the engine bay respray is not worthy of 50k to me. I prepped and sprayed my engine bay myself with the engine still in it. Not a easy task, but I did it for me. Not to resell. I to think the fancy photos sold this car. As long as the new owner is happy I guess that’s what matters. 

FAE1FD05-1C33-4864-9403-87A35B155CD0.jpeg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

Well, the lack of prep that went into the engine bay respray is not worthy of 50k to me. I prepped and sprayed my engine bay myself with the engine still in it. Not a easy task, but I did it for me. Not to resell. I to think the fancy photos sold this car. As long as the new owner is happy I guess that’s what matters. 

FAE1FD05-1C33-4864-9403-87A35B155CD0.jpeg

My hat is off to you sir.  I’ve painted a car or two in my day, and I would not have attempted this with the motor in place.  Way to go man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based solely on the photos, the exterior painting looks to be very good. But other details — underhood, trunk, chassis and underside — are, at best, meh!

This is a car that will positively wow your neighbor, provided he’s not into cars and has never actually climbed under one... ?

I’m glad it achieved $50K. As said above, a rising tide lifts all boats! ?

The photos below show typical areas where little or no attention was shown to... well... much of anything! Enlarge these photos and examine the finishes. Contrast the finish in these areas to the over-produced photos of the car’s exterior. ?

Regards,

Steve

15F80FD5-307B-4225-B974-E7EDFE533969.png

85E8E691-3758-4274-8C01-DB8867071E24.png

52C5EFB4-F344-453C-A171-76AF71324C15.png

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)