• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 BMW 2002 Verona selling for over $45k - PDX

Carlos_M

Yep, fortunately for the seller, there’s a good number of car enthusiasts who focus solely on Stanceworks-style exterior photos.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Oh, if it matters much we have this same debate/thread in the BMW E39 thread about car values.

I always wonder are people pissed that the cars go for so much ?

Or are they pissed that someone has that kind of money to spend on said car  ?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/8/2021 at 5:50 AM, NYNick said:

We here are not the market, nor do we create the market. We're more knowledgeable about it, but we're outnumbered, exponentially I'd guess.

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

Slavs is of course correct.  Why should we be allowed to ask or pay what we want for our cars?  The sales should be regulated, restricted and adjudicated by the government - perhaps the DMV or IRS.  And outlaw the up charge for stupid little options like injection pumps or turbo chargers.  
The indignation over high prices is laughable.  When was the last time you saw an ad like this: “ Roundie tii, rust free, looks and drives great.  $12,000 and not a penny more.  Lower offers encouraged.”

PS. Government bailouts have never been a component of a free market.  Friedman would be the first to agree.  

• Like 1

You know that hot looking woman over there? Yeah she is extremely high maintenance, costs her boyfriend a ton of money!! Those boobs I am sure are fake! I bet she is using botox! She dies her hair, and my gosh she thinks she owns the world and it caters to her! 

Yeah, I am marrying her in May......

• Haha 3

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I hope all you guys/gals that are ecstatic that 'naive' people are shelling out silly money for some '02s are completely ok with the same stupid prices for spare parts and not so well made 'replacement' parts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

$50k, it's worth $50k, Because it's worth what it Sells for.

That being said maybe you could build it for less but I could name 4 local BMW/2002 shops that could Not do it for less. What I've seen paid: 245 5 speed conversion @ $5000, M10 basic sporty rebuild/reinstall @ $9000, A/C installed $4500.

One Roundie Tii + SquareTail Tii both "Matching Numbered" sold as a pair for $200k 2 years ago by someone I know.

Just remember labor can easily be $125/hr. at many 2002 shops so if you don't own wrenches be prepared to see some expensive build bills 

At $50k I would have like to have seen a better under carriage and engine bay paint, especially not a rusted header pipe 

But that's just my Unsolicited opinion 

Not For Sale:

131257128_3604961109552261_3055574685400507302_o.jpg

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Ok guys, let's not get our panties in a bunch. BaT auctions are renown for people paying a premium. I guess some feel its worldwide reach and selection of cars is worth it to them. Not everyone wants to take the time to search the marketplace on their own, driving hither and yon to find the car of their dreams. Me? Of course I would and have, but obviously, based on the success of BaT, many others don't want to do that. Let your fingers do the walking.

As for the Credit Crash and Default Swaps, let's not forget there were plenty of ordinary white bread Joe's taking advantage of the trend, buying and flipping properties with only 5% down. The banks were giving away money to everyone, not just those with lousy credit. And after all that, whether rich or poor or disadvantaged, you still had to sign the papers. Not many went into those deals with their eyes closed. Believe me when I tell you, the availability of easy money gets around, and everybody and their brother signed up for it. People got caught with their pants down. Most knew what they were doing.

Milton Friedman has nothing to do with 02 deals on BaT.

We are not the 02 police. I look to no one to defend my stupid decisions or to share my smart ones. I feel free to criticize or compliment the actions of others, free country and all that, but I'm not inclined to duel in the middle of the street over it.

Life's too short. They're only cars.

• Like 8

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

We are not the 02 police. I look to no one to defend my stupid decisions or to share my smart ones. I feel free to criticize or compliment the actions of others, free country and all that, but I'm not inclined to duel in the middle of the street over it.

Life's too short. They're only cars.

Amen Brother, my Stupid 02 spending IS Legendary ??? 

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Hey I am with if the buyer and seller are happy, cool! Sales like this have their own karma right? The buyer and seller can walk away with happiness and bliss for the end of their days and that is a nice thing.

But, overpaying and selling may have their price as well. Buyers remorse and sellers regret. We see it here a lot. 

Buyer: "Jeesh I spent $XXXXX on this 2002 and it still needs a lot of work! Where did all this rust come from? Parts are expensive and some are hard to find!" 

Seller: "You know I had an '02.... man, I wish I never sold it" (how many of us have heard that before?) 

So let the chips fall where they may and we all can go on with our lives. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

12 hours ago, 02Les said:

I hope all you guys/gals that are ecstatic that 'naive' people are shelling out silly money for some '02s are completely ok with the same stupid prices for spare parts and not so well made 'replacement' parts.

That could go either way on the pricing of parts.  In my experience (yeah, I know that doesn’t mean much), high end Marques or low production numbers equate to stupid expensive prices for replacement parts.  2002’s are kind of caught in the middle.   BMW is a revered high end mark, but a crap ton of 2002’s rolled off the line.  

So far there have been a bunch of cottage businesses pop up making things that go NLA.  That’s a good thing.  Sadly, you’re dead on on the quality thing if the big boys get involved making re-pops (sorry Toby, I had to do it).  Ask any Triumph/MG/Austin Healey owner what they think of reproduction parts they have access to through Moss, Vic British or British Northwest.  It’s a mixed bag of okay/great/useless.  Points/Condensers are a huge issue.  Anybody who drags a British car to me to tune up hears “Pertronix” out of mouth immediately.  I just don’t want the hassle of the phone call about how their car won’t start a month after I worked on it only to find broken points or a faulty condenser.  

My biggest fear with my ‘02 is that they’ll go nuts like the 356.  I like that they’re getting the play they deserve, and that prices are going up, I just don’t want them to go too high.  When I own a $5Ok’ish and below collector car I don’t worry too much about driving it.  When that car goes up to $100/200 or higher, I just don’t enjoy driving it anymore.  I don’t like leaving it in a parking lot, and I worry every time I pull out that someone will total it.  I also tend not to like the crowd they attract when they hit the higher value mark.  When they get really valuable I usually sell, not for the windfall, but because the enjoyment is gone because of the irrational worry in my head, and my annoyance with “that guy” who turns his nose up at me because I have the wrong gas cap.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to suffer through being “educated” by some guy who can’t turn a wrench about one of my cars.  Because I’m polite, I usually just stand there silent  but  thinking “Hmm, I made 3/4’s of that body panel, fusion welded it with a TIG, prepped it and painted it, and you have no clue,” yet I’m listening to you chastise me because I didn’t know the exact date and time my hub caps were manufactured.  For me, I just like the drive, feel, smell, soul of an old car.  I could care less if others think the car is cool or not.  All the stuff that comes with the $100k plus cars just isn’t fun for me.  

Okay...long rant. Sorry.  I really like my ‘02.  I really like driving my ‘02.  I really don’t want to sell my ‘02, but if prices go really nuts I’ll be out for the above reasons. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Robert Kyle said:

look at all of 911r's auctions.  They've all gotten insane prices. 

He's an incredible seller.

Yep, he is.  I won’t deny it.  The presentation is awesome.  

I could be wrong, but I think the point Slavs is making is that while it is a free market, is using his skills to hook some unsuspecting buyer into paying more than the car is worth.  

It could be hearsay, but from what I’ve heard he doesn’t actually own most of the cars he’s selling.  He sells on consignment, and you pay a chunk for him to put together, present and watch over your auction.  Again, this might be hearsay.  

one thing I know for sure...no one on this board would have paid $50k for that red car.  

• Like 1