• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Hardy & Beck start making their 3-piece wheels?

mccusername

1 hour ago, mccusername said:

I don't think so. The barrels were BBS, and the 'announcement' article on the wheels from 1979 says H&B worked with Drake Engineering on them.

That's interesting.

I'll check my source later...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, CoastalCrush said:

02 Hardy&beck centers were always 16 spokes. The ones with 20 spokes that you are showing are 5 lug centers for an e24. 16 spokes = 2002     20 spokes= e30 and 5 lug cars

IDK, but all I can say from this interwebs image this appears to me to be a 4x100 bolt pattern with 20 spokes - spokes look just like your 16 spoke center and nothing like your E30 center......there isn't any reason I can think of that this wouldn't have been used on an o2 with proper sized barrels.

H&B 20 spoke.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markmac said:

IDK, but all I can say from this interwebs image this appears to me to be a 4x100 bolt pattern with 20 spokes - spokes look just like your 16 spoke center and nothing like your E30 center......there isn't any reason I can think of that this wouldn't have been used on an o2 with proper sized barrels.

H&B 20 spoke.jpg

Hmm you’re right. I wonder why the strayed away from them. Maybe too close to alpinas wheels or something? 

I don’t think I’ve seen a 20 spoke 4x100 set in person 

F0A373A2-CCE8-4565-8101-518DC22980D3.jpeg

Edited by CoastalCrush

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

8 hours ago, mccusername said:

Thanks @CoastalCrush! I need to have them re-sized. Any source for 16 hole barrels?

Try emailing BBS Motorsports. When I contacted them a bit  ago about 16-hole E30 barrels they still sold them. And maybe.... the H&B 16 hole barrels are the same as the BBS Motorsport E30 barrels: http://bbs-racing-wheels.com/seiten/framee.htm

Happy to take measurements on my barrels if that helps make the link.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mccusername said:

@CoastalCrush Those turned out great. I read somewhere that H&B basically rebranded Stahl headers. Do yours basically look like Stahls?

I believe H&B had Stahl make them and put the H&B logo on them.

The one I have has the Stahl part #s stamped on the flange and the later H&B logo with full address and phone # on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share something. I live in Berkeley and H&B was my shop for about a decade. Sadly, Allen sold the business and while the new shop still services BMWs, it’s basically just another repair shop and they don’t know the classics. George, the master mechanic, also retired. I am glad I got my cylinder head rebuilt by him and his special touch. Allen could talk about anything for hours, including stories of trips through Germany in an M1 - they federalized a few. The wheels that were for sale on eBay was the new owner clearing out the old stock. Hopefully I run into him and George one day, and hopefully someone still has all the records of the cars they made - they had a file on each apparently. 

Edited by pminasi
  • Like 3

1974 - 02 - Amazon Green "Ms. Agnes"

2000 - 328Ci - Steel Grey "Bucephalus"

I started my first year at UC Berkeley in 1979.  At the time I had a '69 2002 that was originally owned by Alan Hardy.  Funny, I remember going down there (4th Street) to get odds and ends - but mainly to oogle over the parts...Scheel seats, Alpina wheels, H&B Wheels, and on and on and on.  They had quite the display cases in the parts shop.  They had a couple of e21 323i's they put together that had every part they offered, P7 tires, full Scheel interiors etc.,  One of the mechanics there told me those cars were north of $45,000.  Lots of cool stuff down there for sure.

H&B2002.1_Page_1.jpg

H&B2002.1_Page_2.jpg

H&B2002.1_Page_3.jpg

H&B2002.1_Page_4.jpg

• Like 4