• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another buy and drive across country

T-Mo

Thanks Ray and Etsy,

The above topic is bumming me out, maybe wait till i get home to discuss all that. There are small things to fix and i find new things every day, but it’s all good and to be expected. The seller has been real good to me. I think I got a good deal. He’s staying in touch with me the whole way, even checking in on occasion.  

New Topic, we made it to Lincoln Nebraska. 85 F the whole way! We’re parched and our ears are ringing from the highway, but that was a blast. We’re gonna find a tasty place and get a cold beer. Whatever’s ahead, today was great. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that is rare rides.  Their like 90 minutes from me,always tempted to check them out when he has one for sale.

I've read some of the horror stories of past.   But IIRC  there have been two recent purchases from him with pretty happy owners. 

So T-Mo don't be to bummed yet and enjoy your trip home.  I bought mine site unseen and its worked out pretty well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Thanks Ray and Etsy,

The above topic is bumming me out, maybe wait till i get home to discuss all that. There are small things to fix and i find new things every day, but it’s all good and to be expected. The seller has been real good to me. I think I got a good deal. He’s staying in touch with me the whole way, even checking in on occasion.  

the seller is a great guy and builds as nice a car as you'll find...you shouldn't worry ...keep smiling and enjoying the trip...

i envy you

• Like 1

Opening the wing vents can take the pressure off the seals, and really reduce the wind noise. Or at least move it down to a low frequency that isn’t so obnoxious.  Plus it’s old school fun.

congrats on the new ride. Welcome to the insanity ?

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

On 4/25/2021 at 7:09 AM, T-Mo said:

driving it to La Jolla SD.

Ok, I'm confused I looked at the map and Wikipedia, I'll be damned if I kind find a La Jolla South Dakota?.

• Haha 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

7 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Ok, I'm confused I looked at the map and Wikipedia, I'll be damned if I kind find a La Jolla South Dakota?.

Lol! Phone typing and multitasking, i think that was supposed to be La Jolla/San Diego area. Even then I’d be wrong. I live solidly in La Jolla, CA. 

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:09 AM, T-Mo said:

5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

i think that was supposed to be La Jolla/San Diego area

I know just poking fun at ya, welcome aboard the faq have a good trip.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

We started the day out with some maintenance in the parking lot of a hardware store. The list of repairs had grown a bit the day before and we had a long drive to get to Colorado Springs. Rain was in our future, whether in Nebraska or Colorado. I was a bit nervous about the windshield wipers so we put about three layers of RainX. It turns out that would not be enough. 

The drive across Nebraska was as uneventful as you all might expect. Btw, Lincoln was a lot of fun. We went to the Boiler Room Brewery and their beer was incredible. The night was warm and all the trees were blooming. We got a ton of comments on the car. 

Fast forward to Colorado. As soon as I crossed the border I got pulled over. Not possible for me to be speeding so I knew it was about plates. I have a small 6x6" temp plate from California that I put in the passenger side bottom corner, it's illegible from 4 ft away, it's made to get you pulled over. My stuff was all in order and we were on our way. In hindsight I wish they had brought us to the police station for further questioning, because 20 miles west was a monster of a storm. 

The weather changed and took a turn to meet us head-on. I'll try to post a video my wife took from the backseat. Major T-storm with big rain and then snow and hail. The roads seem to be made to capture and hold the water. on either side of the lanes there was about 2 feet of standing water/slush that had stalled and stopped normal sized cars and trucks. I plowed forward right down the middle of the two lanes where I could make out a dotted line every so often. 

Edited by T-Mo
video didn't load
  • Like 5

This was obviously not where we wanted to be. I made it through about 5 miles and 30 min of that, found an exit and waited it out under an overpass. 

If there was a time this little guy was going to quit on me, it could have been here. Thankfully, it made it through. Defrost didn't really work at all, so that's next on the list, but I can't complain. 

Made it to Colorado Springs at 8pm...

Headed south, away from the snow and rain.

• Like 3

Crap guys, sorry you got that.  April is typically one of our biggest months for snow- and we're just really getting into spring now.

Sorry I missed you, too, but I understand just trying to get through.  Hope this was the crux.  Travel safe.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

The storm is over.  To see real Colorado, not just the sagebrush plains, head west out of the Springs, over Poncha Pass and Wolf Creek Pass to Durango.  Then it's your choice to head west over the Painted Desert to Flagstaff or south to Gallop (no man's land).

I the route south of Durango ten days ago to Show Low, AZ but started from Denver.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Great adventure and documentation. Sorry to hear of the challenges but it does feel like you have turned the corner so to speak.

We haven't had this on the board for a little while and its really fun to follow along.

~JasonP

• Thanks 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

4 hours ago, Solarphil said:

Are you taking the route thru Utah and Vegas, or South through Albuquerque?  

I believe we’re headed to Santa Fe tonight. We all want to go west through Colorado, but yesterday was legitimately scary. It was a great bonding moment with the car, but you all get it. Less of that and more dry curving roads.