• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think my cars stuttering problem is getting worse

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my '68 had this problem. the previous owner originally had this problem, so he replaced the fuel pump. i did not notice the problem when i test drove the car... not even when i drove it home. however, it came back after two consecutive days of autocrossing. it was due to fuel starvation. there were air bubbles getting into the lines. so the first thing i did was replace/tighten the clamps in the fuel line. that seemed to work... or so i thought.

then, the car sat in the garage while i was away for several months. when i sold the car, the new owner experienced the same problem at the track. he replaced the fuel lines and problems went away.

my guess is that the fuel lines were so old that when temps got hot, it expanded allowing air to be sucked into the fuel lines. i'm guessing that if i autocrossed the car again after tightening/replacing the clamps, it would've choked again after hours of aggressive driving.

if you have "clear" fuel lines or fuel filter, you should be able to tell whether or not air bubbles are getting into the lines. heck, i say change the fuel lines anyway. it's a good preventive measure and rules that part out as the problem.

hope this helps.

arnel