• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: seatbelts for 71 car

djminkin

Difficult decision for many: 1971’s originally had Klippan “spaghetti” style belts. They’re a real nuisance to manage, besides being uncomfortable and less safe than retracting belts. But retracting belts, generally Autoflugs, replaced the spaghetti belts in late 1971 and 1972 — the changeover date depended on the market and applicable regulations. They’re much easier to live with today than the spaghetti belts. Repa retracting belts appear to have arrived late in the 1973 model year, at least on U.S.-spec cars.

If I were restoring a very special early car, e.g., a ti, I would, nonetheless, be tempted to stick with the original Klippan spaghetti belts. For an early car that is less collectible and rare than a ti, I’d perhaps opt for retracting belts.

Al (@bluedevils) can replace the webbing on belts, restoring them, at minimum, to their original level of safety.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)