• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

motor mount - passenger side

esty

Loosen up the top nut and give a little wiggle wiggle, twisty twist?

It looks like you are missing the steel limiting "strap" piece that keeps the engine fan from kissing the radiator.

(this is the beauty of posting such nice photos... answers to 'other' questions)

I stole this photo from Googleland.

cyclopticgaze - bmw 2002

Tom

You need that "limiting strap." My '73 didn't have one (I suspect my shop did not reinstall it when reinstalling my motor...). I was engaged in one of my perpetual carb tuning tests and was winding the car out in 3rd gear and basically did an unintended power shift. Here is what happened. Fortunately, a local radiator shop was able to repair my radiator for a reasonable price. But, maybe you never drive like that so it won't be a problem (first time it happened to me in 10 years of driving this car).

radiator1.JPG

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

8 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

I paid around five dollars for a used one. Placed ad in Parts Wanted section.

i agree, as many parts as there are i should be able o find one...$50 + or - is a lot for a small piece of steel

now, how do we wiggle the engine over to get the bolt in and what effect will it have on fan/radiator clearance

The frame holes are pretty precisely sized. What you need to do is stick an appropriately sized shaft of some sort (e.g., a screwdriver or a punch) into one of the holes to use as leverage to move the mount hole you are trying to synch into place so you can insert the bolt. This will not have any effect on fan/radiator clearance.

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Esty, when you get the strap put a jack with a piece of wood to spread the load under the oil pan and take the load off that mount with all the nuts and bolts loose you'll be able to start that bolt easily, then drop the engine down and tighten all 3 bolts.

• Like 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Note, that originally the rear bolt was an allen head with the head at the bottom.  

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

13 hours ago, esty said:

i agree, as many parts as there are i should be able o find one...$50 + or - is a lot for a small piece of steel

now, how do we wiggle the engine over to get the bolt in and what effect will it have on fan/radiator clearance

IE was selling that part for $20 in 2018 when I bought one.

It's not on their website now...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.