• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Options for short neck tank in a '73?

Hi all,

Yes, I did a search. I recently bought a replacement tank from MVP with a short filler neck. On their website it shows the short neck fitting 68-73. My '73 had a long neck tank in it with all the rubber filler neck stuff to connect it to the gas cap. Was the long neck tank implemented the same time the larger bumper / taillight revision happened or was it independent?

Is there an "easy" way to mount a short filler neck tank in my '73 or am I best to pay for all the shipping and get the right tank? (see 2 pics below)

thx

Mark

image.png

image.png

Mark, Imo this is too important a connection to mix and match, get the right tank or the correct filler parts, nothing good is going to happen if that comes apart, again just my opinion.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

I don't see why you can't swap the rubber filler neck and correct gaskets.  

My concern would be the rear quarter panel body mount.  Are they different or all quarter panel openings the same ? 

Should it not bolt right right up ?

Yeah - the filler necks and the way they attach to the body panel seem significantly different. I would love some confirmation of this.

mm

According to the BMW Blue Book Parts Manual - tall neck 46 litre tank began at VIN 2583404 which is the start of the 1973 models.

Thus the short neck ended at the end of the 1972 models.

You might want to have a word with MVP and have them correct their website & pay shipping charges for the correct tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

You could jury rig something with a short length of metal tubing of the appropriate diameter and a short length of also appropriate diameter hose, but as Les says, you really don't want fuel leaks into your trunk.  If you told 'em it was for a '73, your supplier should have sent you the correct tank.  Have a little chat with them...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, 02Les said:

According to the BMW Blue Book Parts Manual - tall neck 46 litre tank began at VIN 2583404 which is the start of the 1973 models.

Thus the short neck ended at the end of the 1972 models.

You might want to have a word with MVP and have them correct their website & pay shipping charges for the correct tank.

Here's where I have a confession to make. I bought the MVP tank through IE. It was way less expensive via IE for some reason, but they don't carry the long neck tanks. IE just listed it as "2002 short neck tank" without giving a year range. I should have paid more attention before buying it, but the big cost savings must have warped my thinking....

i love complex and perplexing issues and volunteer to be the test monkey...

we have a 74 (original long neck filler tube) and a 72 (original short neck filler tube) in the garage, both with their gas tanks out of the cars and we have new filler tubes and hardware...Steve set the early tank in the late car, visa versa...all that you have to do is use the correct rubber filler tube for the tank you have...everything else is the same

11 minutes ago, esty said:

i love complex and perplexing issues and volunteer to be the test monkey...

we have a 74 (original long neck filler tube) and a 72 (original short neck filler tube) in the garage, both with their gas tanks out of the cars and we have new filler tubes and hardware...Steve set the early tank in the late car, visa versa...all that you have to do is use the correct rubber filler tube for the tank you have...everything else is the same

Awesome!!! Now i just need to find an early model filler tube. The RealOEM diagram made the rubber attachment look way different. Would you mind posting a pic of early model filler tube?

My experience is somewhat different-

the long neck tube stopped in mid- 71 with the 'not a facelift' 

that changed dashes, fuses, etc.

the long neck and short neck have very different attachments on

the rear quarter- the long neck's held on with one hose clamp,

whereas the short neck has a flange with 4 screws.  I recall them being

machine, not self- tapping, but that's a furry recollection.  

This is JUST based on the cars I've had and have worked on-

in my head, the tank type follows the number of fuses.

By 1969, 2002's had been rearended and caught on fire, a la Pinto,

so the mid- 71 changeover makes sense.

fwiw, the early style is pretty unsafe in a low- speed rearender-

it will pop off the flange as soon as the rear quarterpanel is deformed,

and the rear of the car will deform below 5 mph if the impact is transferred

into the quarter.

As I said above, this is just what I've seen on the cars I've had...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

23 minutes ago, esty said:

part number 16114480115

Thanks!

I will never understand how RealOEM works. When I drill down to the fuel tank stuff for my '73 it doesn't show a part # for the fuel neck, therefore I assumed it was no longer available. But that's what I thought "Ended" was meant to indicate. Also, it looks like the older filler version uses a Hose Clamp (3) to mount but the newer version uses a big sandwich plate (10,11,12).

When I searched the part# you provided I found out they are still available. 

image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, TobyB said:

My experience is somewhat different-

the long neck tube stopped in mid- 71 with the 'not a facelift' 

that changed dashes, fuses, etc.

the long neck and short neck have very different attachments on

the rear quarter- the long neck's held on with one hose clamp,

whereas the short neck has a flange with 4 screws.  I recall them being

machine, not self- tapping, but that's a furry recollection.  

This is JUST based on the cars I've had and have worked on-

in my head, the tank type follows the number of fuses.

By 1969, 2002's had been rearended and caught on fire, a la Pinto,

so the mid- 71 changeover makes sense.

fwiw, the early style is pretty unsafe in a low- speed rearender-

it will pop off the flange as soon as the rear quarterpanel is deformed,

and the rear of the car will deform below 5 mph if the impact is transferred

into the quarter.

As I said above, this is just what I've seen on the cars I've had...

t

Thx Toby - I was just noticing this.... The mount to the rear fender / fuel filler cap is very different.

Do you mean "the SHORT neck tube stopped in mid '71"?

Looks like I need to hold out for a long-neck tank.

mark

image.png

image.png