• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bmw 2002tii A4 alpina ,1972

laurens

Allow me to start by saying I know nothing about this particular car’s history, beyond what I’m seeing and reading in this thread.

I have no idea if this was a car originally delivered to Alpina and modded by them, or modded subsequently by Alpina or other parties. Alpina will have some record, at least of the VIN, if they did mods in their shop — the dash plaques did not exist until 1977, when Alpina legally became a “car manufacturer”. This is according to Alpina. Before 1977, Alpina was (1.) a BMW tuner, and, simultaneously, (2.) a BMW dealership. Yes, un-authorized dash plaques, some even with “Alpina chassis numbers,” ? are sometimes stuck on cars pre-dating 1977, but not by Alpina! ?

The number of Alpina factory works (racing) cars is tiny when compared to the number of Alpina factory-modded street cars. Street cars is how they made their money, racing cars is how they spent (some of) their money!

Thus, log books do not exist for the vast majority of Alpina-prepped cars. If the original paperwork has not been passed down, your proof will largely be (a.) an email or letter from Alpina verifying VIN XXXXXXX was received by their shop at some date, and/or (b.) a BMW Group Archives email or letter showing the car was delivered to Alpina. Since Alpina was also, during the ‘02 era, a BMW dealership, evidence of BMW delivering the car to Alpina isn’t 100% proof positive that the car was also modified by Alpina. You also need confirmation from Alpina that the car went through the Alpina shop.

There are further extenuating facts that might support a claim that a car was modded by Alpina, even if the Alpina paperwork evidence is thin. For instance, a U.S.-spec car delivered new to Alpina was probably modded by them since there would be little other reason for a U.S.-bound car to pass through a German BMW dealership — a dealership that happened to be attached to a reknowned BMW tuner.

Here’s an Archives email for an early U.S.-spec tii that was modded in Alpina’s shops when new. There is separate confirmation from Alpina that the car was received by their shop:

“The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2760173 was manufactured on December 17th, 1971 and delivered on December 29th, 1971 to the BMW dealer Bovensiepen in Buchloe. The original colour was Verona, paint code 024.” (“Bovensiepen” was the family name of the founder and owners of Alpina.)

Again, I have no knowledge of whether or not Lauren’s car was Alpina-prepped. Does “original A4 Alpina engine” indicate (a.) it is simply the car’s original block, with an authentic Alpina A4 system added, or (b.) Alpina’s shop added the A4 system when the car was new or nearly new? Alpina, and Alpina’s customers, didn’t generally give a rat’s a*s whether an original block stayed with the car (neither did anyone else, ca. 1972). They’d often grab a new block, modify it, and replace the factory-new original engine.

The seats look like the factory-option Recaro sport seats — both Recaro’s and Scheel’s were available (photos below from the accessories catalogue and of factory-option seats installed, as part of the Sport-Packet option, in a 2002 touring). The leather coverings are unusual. Unless there is an original invoice for the car — hey, you never know — showing both the factory-option seats and leather coverings, it’s likely impossible to prove when or where the leather-covered factory-option seats first appeared in this car, or even if the leather, although old, is original to these seats. The chromed recliners shout early, probably 1972 or earlier, which is nice but proves little.

It’s parsing words, but I notice Lauren says he can send a list “with all specifications!” He does not say he can send “copies of the Alpina documentation.” 

And street Alpina-prepped cars didn’t get matte-black hoods and deck lids like some of their track cars.

I suspect there is little or no evidence that this car was modded by Alpina, at its shop, when it was new. Any dealer would be shouting that, and Lauren does not make that claim. “Alpina” does not lead the title; it ends it. But the car clearly has a lot of rare Alpina, and other, goodies. And that, plus its condition — if it is as mint as claimed — might justify the price, even if this car has never visited Buchloe, Germany!

Regards,

Steve

A2FE9A5E-E501-43F6-87EA-242424383C2F.jpeg

01B87B36-0D25-4985-88A4-BD23A3BF0753.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 3 weeks later...