• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

License Plate Bracket Question

cjois

1 hour ago, cjois said:

… There are no other holes on this car. although this car was confirmed by BMW Archive to be a US spec car built and shipped to Hoffman in Dec 1972.

I wonder how the previous owner had mounted the plate without the bracket…

That’s my point. The car has obviously been painted recently. Either (a.) the original holes were filled, or (b.) a new rear panel was installed and the panel was not drilled for the license plate. Neither of these possibilities is shocking or unheard of.

If this was done by a dealer or repair shop, the car could have been driven with dealer or repair tags simply hanging from the trunk lid. I’m guessing you don’t have any pre-sale (pre-paint) photos of the car showing a rear license plate in place?

New Holes

The spacing of the two new holes is dictated by the spacing of standard license plate holes. The pair of holes will be centered on the rear panel, or at least with respect to the trunk release.

The diameter of the two new holes is dictated by the size of the machine screws you’ll use to affix the plate — allow a little wiggle room in the diameter.

So only the height of the two new holes is at issue. My ‘73 is in another state, but someone here can provide the distance down from the aluminum trim molding, or up from the raised shadow line. The top half of the plate, unfastened, rests on the aluminum trim molding. On the bad photo below, the only one I have of my ‘73 without a plate, there are shadow (wear?) lines on the molding where the license plate has rested for years. Some owners place insulation tape or equivalent on the reverse of the plate to provide a cushion between plate and molding.

I’d tape up the area to be drilled and gently dimple the sheet metal with a center punch or screw, to avoid drill bit slippage. I’d also probably drill small holes, followed by the full size holes. And I’d touch up both holes with a little primer and paint so they don’t become a source of rust. Others here will have better ideas. Listen to them! ?

Regards,

Steve

E583EAF9-52D7-4FB9-8512-C183DE78627C.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The pic below is your car when it was for sale in WA in Nov 2020. It would appear to have had a rear plate mounting at that time.

Check on the inside of the trunk to see if you can see evidence of where the holes were.

2586717 5g.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

That’s my point. The car has obviously been painted recently. Either (a.) the original holes were filled, or (b.) a new rear panel was installed and the panel was not drilled for the license plate. Neither of these possibilities is shocking or unheard of.

If this was done by a dealer or repair shop, the car could have been driven with dealer or repair tags simply hanging from the trunk lid. I’m guessing you don’t have any pre-sale (pre-paint) photos of the car showing a rear license plate in place?

New Holes

The spacing of the two new holes is dictated by the spacing of standard license plate holes. The pair of holes will be centered on the rear panel, or at least with respect to the trunk release.

The diameter of the two new holes is dictated by the size of the machine screws you’ll use to affix the plate — allow a little wiggle room in the diameter.

So only the height of the two new holes is at issue. My ‘73 is in another state, but someone here can provide the distance down from the aluminum trim molding, or up from the raised shadow line. The top half of the plate, unfastened, rests on the aluminum trim molding. On the bad photo below, the only one I have of my ‘73 without a plate, there are shadow (wear?) lines on the molding where the license plate has rested for years. Some owners place insulation tape or equivalent on the reverse of the plate to provide a cushion between plate and molding.

I’d tape up the area to be drilled and gently dimple the sheet metal with a center punch or screw, to avoid drill bit slippage. I’d also probably drill small holes, followed by the full size holes. And I’d touch up both holes with a little primer and paint so they don’t become a source of rust. Others here will have better ideas. Listen to them! ?

Regards,

Steve

E583EAF9-52D7-4FB9-8512-C183DE78627C.jpeg

Thanks much for the detailed writeup Steve. 

• Like 1

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona Red), 1996 BMW 528i (Champagne), 2003 BMW 530i (Blue), 2006 BMW 545i (Sapphire Black), 2012 BMW M550xi (Carbon Black), 2015 BMW M550xi (Carbon Black), 2018 BMW M550xi (Sapphire Black), 2020 BMW M750xi (Azurite BMW Individual), 2022 BMW X5 4.4, 2023 BMW M850I (Carbon Black)

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

The pic below is your car when it was for sale in WA in Nov 2020. It would appear to have had a rear plate mounting at that time.

Check on the inside of the trunk to see if you can see evidence of where the holes were.

2586717 5g.JPG

Wow... I will look for the two holes from prior install. I am curious, how did you know its the same car? ?

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona Red), 1996 BMW 528i (Champagne), 2003 BMW 530i (Blue), 2006 BMW 545i (Sapphire Black), 2012 BMW M550xi (Carbon Black), 2015 BMW M550xi (Carbon Black), 2018 BMW M550xi (Sapphire Black), 2020 BMW M750xi (Azurite BMW Individual), 2022 BMW X5 4.4, 2023 BMW M850I (Carbon Black)

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

OK, found more pics for you (when it was for sale in GA Apr 2020 .......... it appears the two lower screws held the plate through the rear panel wall.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iTZqTUZ4SNZWhoCj6

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

I am so happy to see this pictures. ?

yes, its the same car now that i see the interior. So happy to see these pictures. 

Did you own it? 

I asked the dealership so much to tell me if the prior owners had any documentation i could preserve with teh car. But they said they had reached out and hadn't heard back. After asking a few times i let go not wanting to bother them more. 

I see that a Donnie Williams owned this car back in 2008 (as found on this forum). But i couldnt find any more about its history beyond that. 

Should i be concerned that the car was for sale in April 2020, then again in Nov 2020 and then again for sale in April 2021? 

8 minutes ago, cjois said:

Wow... I will look for the two holes from prior install. I am curious, how did you know its the same car? ?

The Chassis number (VIN)

Les

FAQ Member #17

6 minutes ago, cjois said:

I am so happy to see this pictures. ?

yes, its the same car now that i see the interior. So happy to see these pictures. 

Did you own it? 

I asked the dealership so much to tell me if the prior owners had any documentation i could preserve with teh car. But they said they had reached out and hadn't heard back. After asking a few times i let go not wanting to bother them more. 

I see that a Donnie Williams owned this car back in 2008 (as found on this forum). But i couldnt find any more about its history beyond that. 

Should i be concerned that the car was for sale in April 2020, then again in Nov 2020 and then again for sale in April 2021? 

Send me a PM with your email, and i'll send everything I have on your car (pics/info). It has certainly travelled.....NY-PA-AZ-GA-WA-CO-& wherever you are located.

• Like 1

Les

FAQ Member #17

4 minutes ago, m42002 said:

Les is “the man” with vehicles sold info on our little machines. I have heard he spends up tp 40 hours a day gathering intel?

Hehe. Just like the installation programs I did for our Mills for the Chinese. 36 hr/day, 12 days/wk to install in their time requirements.

• Haha 1

Les

FAQ Member #17

8 minutes ago, m42002 said:

Les is “the man” with vehicles sold info on our little machines. I have heard he spends up tp 40 hours a day gathering intel?

?

6 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Send me a PM with your email, and i'll send everything I have on your car (pics/info). It has certainly travelled.....NY-PA-AZ-GA-WA-CO-& wherever you are located.

I spent all of my non-work hours researching everything i could. I could only trace the Scranton, PA location. I wrote to the individual and didnt get any response. 

I will send you a PM now. Really interested to know its history. 

I owe them all a thank you for keeping it in the shape it is in. For its age, it drives really well. 

• 2 years later...

I used the Mercedes license plate bracket on my 73tii.  It works great.  Here's a link to the information that another FAQer posted about it a long time ago. Mercedes part #1078170111.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️