• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kuglefischer New style oil supply pipe problem

SydneyTii

Hi all,

Now that my pump is all back together and the car is ruining fine, I thought I’d better give a quick update as to an issue I came across.

The issue I discovered was with the Kuglefischer pump oil supply pipe.

The new one which I was sent will not work with the pump. What happens is that the crimped collar/neck is so large that the connection point union which the special bolt passes through cannot sit flat.

So when you start the engine, the oil pours out under pressure, my delight at this produced a few choice words, which my neighbour laughed so hard at, he almost wet himself!?

I tried a number of shims and washers but you would need so many you will just get another leak. The pipe that usually fits on the connector doesn’t have any form of crimp, so allows the union to sit flat, I checked on the FAQ other posts as well, and the Tii owners on here seem to have the same style of pipe as my original.

Have a look at the pictures and you should be able to see what I mean, it does the same on the new and old pump, so it is probably just a poor design on the new BMW part. I copied some of the pics from old faq posts so credit to whoever they belong to?

Btw the car runs so well with the new pump, it’s an absolute joy to drive again!! The guys who rebuilt the pump did a really lovely job, great attention to detail, it’s absolutely mint.

A55E1EFE-4392-44AC-82EB-4135F5546BEB.png

8C78B9CF-6452-4090-BEEE-1A6D377FCBE9.jpeg

865F4349-C828-45C2-A238-8EB66A9025B9.jpeg

8E93C467-0BB1-4F22-8DE3-E1AA7D64BEC5.png

393AEA5B-FC30-4604-A948-6FFAAC1FB2DD.jpeg

Edited by SydneyTii

...ahhhhhh, Mobile Tradition strikes again.

Oh, well, it's a 50 year old car, close is good enough, right?

t

4 stacked crush washers later...

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Haha the yellow pipe is mine, I will see if I can’t get the new BMW pipe on somehow, but I don’t like the idea of multiple crush washers, the yellow pipe was on there for 12 years! And it doesn’t leak, let’s see what I can come up with, maybe a thick crush washer Toby?, Or a nice copper one. I think W&N have the latest poor design as well, maybe Rogers or Blunt have the older style.

Well you did a good job with the wire, I'm just used to then being shrunk on like the black pipe on the pump in the bottom picture.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yes I will try and get the one where the pipe is shrunk on, I thinks Rogers Tii still do them, not cheap though.

The car came to me like that, but I think it’s been done with a proper wire twist tool, either way I’d like to get one that doesn’t stick out like the proverbial….

if I had a thick enough washer the new one would work, but it’s got quite a step to make up!

Edited by SydneyTii

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

Bet you could file/grind that small area near the corner of the pump head cover so that it is the same depth as the machined area.

I’d be to chicken to try Jim, I think I can get the pipe from Rogers…