• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 tii clock

Guest Craig N

There are two thumbnuts on the back of the clock that hold a cross-bracket in place. To get to those thumbnuts, you must squeeze your hands into a tiny space, either from below the dash or, possibly, through the fasten seat belts light aperture.

After the thumbnuts are off, the bracket will fall off and you’ll be able to pull the clock out. I can’t recall whether you can unplug the clock’s wire harness at the clock, or whether you must unplug it from the rear of the instrument cluster.

Losing the thumbnuts, and even the cross-bracket in the underdash morass is the chief risk. I lost two thumbnuts to the underdash — 40 years apart! Proving that I learned little over those 40 years… ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, Craig N said:

1973 2002tii Golf,  2762749 

Craig, you have the 119th '73 off the line, probably assembled sometime in September 1972.  '73 VINs begin with 2762630; welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, Craig N said:

thank you I will give it a try   1973 2002tii Golf,  2762749  (recent purchase)

Congrats, Craig! If BMW Group Archives was not temporarily closed until late 2021, ? I’d send you to them for a specific build date:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Don’t worry, I’ll probably remind you again when they re-open! In the meantime, please enter your car in this forum’s Registry!

My ‘73 tii is just 8 cars after yours: VIN 2762757 (manufactured October 19, 1972). They could have been manufactured the same day — U.S. tii’s, and probably other groups of like sub-models, appear to have been grouped and produced in a batch of 40 or 50 on a single day — or shipped on the same ship.

Good luck on the clock. It is an easy task, but for the tight quarters! ? 

Regards,

Steve

Guest Craig N

Thanks for all your welcomes and info. The original service book shows' a delivery date of January 12, 1973 from Helane Motors Inc. Alhambra, CA.  Remained in California until brought to Georgia in 2017. Now resides in Braselton, Ga. and Highlands, NC.  

1 hour ago, Craig N said:

Thanks for all your welcomes and info. The original service book shows' a delivery date of January 12, 1973 from Helane Motors Inc. Alhambra, CA.  Remained in California until brought to Georgia in 2017. Now resides in Braselton, Ga. and Highlands, NC.  

That's probably the date it was first registered. A previous Owner had stated the manufacture date as 17 October, 1972.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

17 hours ago, Craig N said:

how to remove 2002 tii clock

So...reaching up under dash to remove the knurled nuts is daunting but do-able.  The center consul must be removed.  I have worked through the fasten seatbelt sign location and from below and I can tell you that removing the consul makes the job much less stressful.

And yes, the electrical connections can be disconnected at the clock.

Replacing the nuts can make you crazy.  I created a tool to make the job less aggravating.  I've screwed the nuts on with this tool in less than 5 minutes.

clock tool1.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 3

73 Inka Tii #2762958

4 hours ago, Craig N said:

Join us on FB - Atlanta Area BMW 2002 Club

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

23 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

… Replacing the nuts can make you crazy.  I created a tool to make the job less aggravating.  I've screwed the nuts on with this tool in less than 5 minutes.

clock tool1.jpg

Geez, fabricating that special tool is a lot of work from my perspective, Paul. I just let the thumb nuts drop into the bowels of the car: one in 1976; the second in 2013 when I had the clock serviced. Since I only had one nut holding the clock in place — worked just fine from 1976 to 2013 — those 37 years gave me plenty of time to collect not one, but two spare thumbnuts. Well, actually, they’re stolen off my spare clock, to which one has returned: when the car was painted 2015-17, I found one of the lost thumbnuts. Some lucky owner, thirty years from now, will probably find the other one…

So my system has worked pretty well for me, although I would consider your special tool if I must remove the clock in the future… ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

So...reaching up under dash to remove the knurled nuts is daunting but do-able.  The center consul must be removed.  I have worked through the fasten seatbelt sign location and from below and I can tell you that removing the consul makes the job much less stressful.

And yes, the electrical connections can be disconnected at the clock.

Replacing the nuts can make you crazy.  I created a tool to make the job less aggravating.  I've screwed the nuts on with this tool in less than 5 minutes.

clock tool1.jpg

Another reason to curse my AC….

2 hours ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Or, find a friend with a 3D printer and print out the "improved" thumbnuts.

I added a very generous chamfer to the nut to help with the blind installation.  The file for the nut is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3293694

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice idea, Trieu, but I kind of like struggling with the original thumbnuts… ??

Best regards,

Steve