• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the most surprising essential item in your tool box?

WRKO

Hello all -- Sunday morning conversation starter here -- what is the more surprising essential item in your tool box?  I'll start -- my son was recently surprised to see that I have a very powerful magnet that is approximately the size of a pencil.  I also have my reading glasses which are, perhaps, less surprising but increasingly essential!

Edited by WRKO
spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PapaG said:

a 10mm open end/box wrench.

6x1mm bolts (10mm head)--the 1/4"x 20 of the metric world.  

Not sure if they qualify as tools, but I have a 4"x 5" piece of 1/4" thick steel, and an equally thick piece of angle iron, about 3" tall with 4" sides.  Together they make an impromptu anvil, and I can bend sheet metal, wire etc over the sharp edge of the angle iron.  Good for pounding on too, especially when you're making field repairs and your workshop isn't nearby.  Oh, and a brass drift made from a section of an old frostproof faucet stem.  When the end gets all boogered up, I just cut it off and have a new, sharp end.

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

One of these.

30mm Shallow Socket.jpg

Need to turn the engine over to TDC?   Use this with a very short extension and a small 3/8" ratchet on the crank shaft nut.  Fits in between the radiator and the crank pulley and you can stop the crank exactly where you need it.  No more "bumping" the starter or trying to rotate the crank using a finger pinching fan belt.  

It's actually designed for use on fuel/oil filters on popular Korean marques:  Hyundai, Kia,  ….

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07198KRZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Double cheaters -- 3M safety glasses with reading glass diopters on both top and bottom

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1XT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 5

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

Unexpected??? 

By far, the magnet on a stick!

Never thought I would feel so "attracted" to an  inanimate object.                                                                                                         i

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John76 said:

Unexpected??? 

By far, the magnet on a stick!

I dunno, I tend to expect to drop things into heaven knows where. ? I've got a magnet on a long coiled spring that I got from my grandfather, and I'm not surprised at all that it's one of my most used and indispensable tools

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy