• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the most surprising essential item in your tool box?

WRKO

I am glad to hear there are so many magnets out there!  I got a  stick and a set of picks years ago when I was knee deep in my sb38b35 valves.  The tappet depressor and magnet stick were indispensable.  I use the magnet all the time - just today I  the little C clip that holds the choke linkage together that i have been in and out of too many times recently, finally popped off and out of reach, this time it looks like for good.  The magnet can't find it.

Oh, and the cheaters - I resisted for too long.  Now everything is as clear as an HD TV.

• WRKO changed the title to what is the most surprising essential item in your tool box?

Telescoping mirror... and a bright flashlight. This is my current favorite flashlight from Harbor Freight, rechargeable, magnetic, and three levels of brightness and focus. 
image.jpeg

Oh... I’ve carried a stubby hammer in my tool kit for ages. 

Ed Z

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

7mm and 8mm nut driver for hose clamps.

Strong telescoping magnet and a few small neodymium magnets that can go inside sockets to hold bolts.

Borescope camera is great for looking inside cylinders and finding lost things that aren't magnetic. Too pick up non magnetic items the old school twisty grabber thing with 3 claws on the end.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, zinz said:

Telescoping mirror... and a bright flashlight. This is my current favorite flashlight from Harbor Freight, rechargeable, magnetic, and three levels of brightness and focus. 
image.jpeg

Oh... I’ve carried a stubby hammer in my tool kit for ages. 

Ed Z

That flashlight is pretty good.  The 11 hours quoted is only if you use the single LED in the end but that is still surprisingly effective.  Sadly the days of the 20% coupon are gone though.

The Harbor Freight 3/4” ball joint separator is one of the most useful to me, along with a magnet I can bend into virtually any shape needed.  It was absolutely critical that time I dropped an m50 torque converter in the bell housing after installing an engine.  Without being able to put a couple of strategic bends in the shaft, there’s no way I’d have gotten to it without separating the motor and trans again.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

This, a metric rethreader.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XJ48V0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was actually recommended in a separate thread on this site. A christmas present thread IIRC.

I bought one and have used it so many times I've lost count. Any metric bolt or nut that is in any way scraggly gets passed through it and comes out new. It's saved my butt numerous times.

Jason

• Like 4

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Everything cited so far is right on the money, but for me that 30mm socket to turn the crank is just plain brilliant.  I'm gonna order it right now. 

I'll throw another log on the fire - probably the "tool" I use most frequently is a paper towel holder I put up on the wall right at my workbench.   The one I use has a kind of ratcheting feature that allows just getting one towel at a time without the roll continuing to turn. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-4554ASB-Perfect-Patented-Rounded/dp/B0024AKCTS/ref=pd_bxgy_1/132-4863138-0694123?pd_rd_w=1v2Gc&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=4HG87RW8ZPQ4146Y0PA2&pd_rd_r=b7178bb0-5121-4646-b60a-926a34b400d5&pd_rd_wg=swoqJ&pd_rd_i=B0024AKCTS&psc=1

• Like 2

Hazet Oil Filter Socket, without a doubt. Essential for making Tii oil changes quick & easy.

Edited by adawil2002
  • Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My backup pair of sunglasses. I leave my primary pair at home too damn often…

None of my real tools that I carry are surprisingly used. They’re there because I don’t want to be surprised - and when I have to use ‘em it’s for exactly what I anticipated.

Tom

ps: I haven’t had need to find TDC or do oil changes out on the road…

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Not particularly surprising, but a bundle of zip- ties can do anything from holding a water

hose on to making an impromptu belt to get your water pump turning again.

To holding the passenger door shut when the latch jams.

and so on.

Oh, the flashlight on my phone.  THAT gets used a LOT.

t

ps, thanks, Hal, for the socket link.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

47 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Hazet Oil Filter Socket, without a doubt. Essential for making Tii oil changes quick & easy.

I've gone to Mobil 1 filters so I can just use their socket tool to remove the filter.  So much easier.

I bet the Hazet tool is way nicer.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

32 minutes ago, visionaut said:

My backup pair of sunglasses. I leave my primary pair at home too damn often…

None of my real tools that I carry are surprisingly used. They’re there because I don’t want to be surprised - and when I have to use ‘em it’s for exactly what I anticipated.

Tom

ps: I haven’t had need to find TDC or do oil changes out on the road…

I think they're talking about the toolbox at home, not necessarily what you have in the car...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

A couple of these paint can openers 48 cents at lowes, great for fishing ouut retaining rings like in the shifter or opening imported beer or domestic beer if your cheap.

image.jpeg

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944