• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New calipers, pads and hardware issue

esty

Steve was installing the new pads in the new calipers this morning and hit a snag...the pins that hold the pads in the caliper appear to be too short...see the pictures...the bushings, farrells or whatever you cal them, at the ends of the pins will not go in holes in caliper

the pins do fit tight or stay in place with the farrell removed...did we get the wrong pins with the calipers...maybe?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Aren't the ferrels supposed to be driven into the holes on the caliper thus holding the pins in place?  IIRC the ferrels are a pretty tight fit in the caliper holes, though it's been awhile since i've done brake work.

Don

• Like 1

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Not sure, try flipping them???

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

who was it that said for $50 go buy new one's?  

I have had the same issue in the past. The rank and file parts suppliers just grab "kits" for things and they often are generic shit.  

One reason I always hold onto the little things like clips and pins from old calipers.  

I may have a a set of used old hardware you can have if you are in a lurch.  

edit: It does look like your pins are the right length. Perhaps squeeze the farrel with a channel lock to make for an easier insertion.  

but what do I know. 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

1 hour ago, esty said:

he tried hammering the farrels in but could not...i'll tell him to keep trying

Yea, you should be able to tap them in... but of course if they are wrong size then maybe not. Length looks ok once they are in all the way.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Those ferrules are often a tight fit into their appropriate holes in the calipers.  I generally use a drift and hammer to drive 'em home.  You might also apply the tiniest bit of silicone grease to the ferrules to help 'em slide in a bit easier.  But they will fit.  

Remember the old mechanic's phrase..."doesn't fit?  Use a bigger hammer."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The edge of the hole they're going into might be sharp and catching on the compression sleeve.  You could add a little chamfer to the top of the hole to help them get started.  A drill bit that is slightly larger than the hole might do the trick.  Or a  countersink.

You might also try pinching them closed with needle nosed pliers as you tap them in.

ok guys, i just got a frantic call from steve, the mechanic...he tried the bigger hammer, lube, etc, he tried squeezing 2 of them while tapping and broke a pair of the farrells...he said the metal was very brittle...so now none of the above matters much, we need new pins....YO... MARC